How can my students share iMovie project files?

Reaction score
My students are recording and editing a video for a project. The students all have individual iPads to use but it is a group project and I want students to be able to send not just video files to each other but the actual project files so that each person is able to edit them.

Students within a group may be in different class periods and students may be absent so it is very important that the movie is accessible to everyone in the group from each of their devices.

Some ideas I had were exporting the project files from iMovie to either dropbox or Google Drive and having them share it with everyone else in the group, allowing them to import it into their own iMovie, but I don't know if that is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link and the help!

I do have one follow up question - I only tested this one and may have messed up, but when I exported a test movie and then imported it later, the movie was a single file - all the separate clips/sounds/transitions had merged into a single entity which could not be edited within itself (for example, if member A put two pictures in a certain order and then sent the movie to member B, member B would not be able to switch the order of the pictures because the two pictures were not separate objects anymore). Is this how it works or am I mistaken?

This is why I was hoping to be able to export the actual project files rather than just the movie file, which from what I've seen is possible on laptops but I haven't found a way to do it via iPads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had to do some research. I am retired from teaching now so I rely on my friends who are still in the trenches!

Most I talked to were not uploading the imovie library with all the contents. I did find this really cool website with all kinds of neat ideas. If you scroll down you will see there is an app that will allow you to do what I think you are asking. It does cost $4.99 and I am not sure if that is per ipad or if they are all on the same apple id then it would be a one time cost.

6 Ways Students Can Collaborate With iPads - from Greg on Edudemic - EdTechTeacher

Lisa

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the help! I think we're going to go with the Google Drive + iMovie idea. We won't start until after spring break though so hopefully it goes well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.