• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How can I get rid of "Trending Searches" in Google when using FF?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Funny how difficult it is to give unambiguous directions to another user. Try as I might it's easy to overlook other's take on things.
krs, the easiest thing for me to do is decribe what I do because it's here in front of me and suggest that you (or others) do that.

So, I don't use Firefox much but I do have it because in my experience it's good to have more than one browser. Why is another topic.

I don't use Google for anything really but I do have a Google account because I have gmail.

I do occasionally use the Google Search page mostly for image search;

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.35.07 am.png

Nor do I use the DuckDuck Go Search Page;

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.37.35 am.png

I'm guessing this is the page you logged into for the DuckDuck Go app. I don't have this either and I think the reason it requires a later macOS than what you are running is because it's relatively new for macOS and there may not be any earlier versions.

All I have done is change the default search engine in Firefox Settings > Search > Default Search Engine to DDG, as shown in my previous post. In fact I've changed my default search engine to DDG in all my browsers, including safari;

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.42.57 am.png

This means the top of my Firefox Home page (or any page) looks like this;

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.46.55 am.png

You can see that the search bar says, "Search with DuckDuck Go or enter search address" or as I'm on the home page it also shows DDG in the Firefox Search bar.

When I enter a search in the Address Bar I get this;

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.56.11 am.png

You can see, on the bottom of the results list I could, "This time search with" a different search engine if I wanted different results. This does not change the default, it's only for this search.

As you can see, no "Trending" results but bear in mind DDG will return different results to Google, as will Bing, Amazon and Wikipedia. They are geared to provide the "hits" they think you will want to see whereas DDG simply tries to avoid dodgy sites that may track you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
About what?

In post 18, I failed to realise that what I suggested had already been tried by you. Basically, I wasted your time. That's all. A simple apology. :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

@ian
Just a point of interest Ian, if you were a Canadian citizen in Canada, you would be protected by our Apology Act of 2006.

It provides legislative protection for those who apologize for their actions.

Besides that, most Canadians seem to have a reputation of apologizing for almost everything.

Sorry to say so... But that's the fact... Sorry to say...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.