How best to organize and use baking recipes on iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
I am looking for some advice on how best to load and organize pdf files onto my wife’s iPad (10th gen).

I have scanned a total of almost 200 baking recipes from both of our mother’s old handwritten recipes into pdf files on my MacBook Pro and now want to get them onto the iPad so they are easily usable. Each recipe is saved as an individual pdf file with a descriptive name. I am thinking to get them organized in folders & layers of subfolders such as “mom’s recipes/deserts/pies/apple pie.pdf” etc.. I can airdrop from my MBP and get the pdfs into iOS books, but I did not see a way to create subfolders. Suggestions, hints, and or instructions are appreciated, thank you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have an idea about how you might organise your recipes (in essence Files):

Consider using the "Files" app on your iPad. Here are 3 Links to articles which may assist you:

Best I can suggest, I'm afraid. All articles refer to iDevices (iPhone & iPad) as well as iCloud Drive.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe you can organize them into a "cookbook" using Preview, and then add the cookbook to the Books app? Of course if you want to add more recipes going forward, then you will need to create additional cookbooks (vol 1, vol 2, etc.). Then you can do it all on the Mac and sync it to her iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am looking for some advice on how best to load and organize pdf files onto my wife’s iPad (10th gen).

I have scanned a total of almost 200 baking recipes from both of our mother’s old handwritten recipes........
Hello - Ian's and Bob's suggestions are certainly worth exploring - the Files app is useful but I've never tried to organize a hierarchy of sub-folders. I'm sure that you've been searching for PDF managing apps, such as HERE, which might have the features you desire?

Now likely not for you at this point, but a recipe app (requiring importing and/or typing in directions) is another option for those just getting started who may be reading this thread - I've been using Paprika on my iPad for years - below the first pic of the home screen with 'Seafood' selected; second image shows how an individual recipe appears - when entries are done I use an Apple BT keyboard. Dave :)

IMG_5369.PNG IMG_5370.PNG

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
you can try looking at the app store to see if recipe app for the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hello - Ian's and Bob's suggestions are certainly worth exploring - the Files app is useful but I've never tried to organize a hierarchy of sub-folders. I'm sure that you've been searching for PDF managing apps, such as HERE, which might have the features you desire?

Now likely not for you at this point, but a recipe app (requiring importing and/or typing in directions) is another option for those just getting started who may be reading this thread - I've been using Paprika on my iPad for years - below the first pic of the home screen with 'Seafood' selected; second image shows how an individual recipe appears - when entries are done I use an Apple BT keyboard. Dave :)

View attachment 37853 View attachment 37854
I think Paprika can also do OCR on recipes. I read that recently, haven't tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Maybe you might want to check out this list:

BTW: if you don't have a holder to use when viewing the recipes when working in the kitchen, you might want to check out the one from Ikea which we find ideal and reasonably priced:
VIVALLA
Tablet stand, bamboo, 10 1/4x6 3/4 " (26x17 cm)
$14.99

Either use it as a stand or hook it over an object to hold it.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe you can organize them into a "cookbook" using Preview, and then add the cookbook to the Books app? Of course if you want to add more recipes going forward, then you will need to create additional cookbooks (vol 1, vol 2, etc.). Then you can do it all on the Mac and sync it to her iPad.
Organizing things into separate volumes is a good idea given the number of recipes but it might not be necessary. Let us suppose the recipes have already been put into a single PDF. Adding new pages is as simple as opening the PDF, showing the pages in the sidebar, and dragging the new PDF into place. Save the changes and the new recipe should be part of the larger "cookbook".

Given the number of recipes involved, separate cookbooks might be best so the file doesn't become unwieldy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.