How are these idle temps?

RLD

Reaction score
2009 iMac Core 2 Duo A1312 (EMC 2309)

The GPU seems a bit hot IMO.
I'd rather not re-paste unless I have to. But being a 2009 I can imagine the hard crusty business under those sinks >.<

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 10.11.51 AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
None of those are high temps and perfectly normal. You should be concerned only if it's hovering around 90+ degC constantly. My Mac Mini is siting at 63 degC for the proximity sensor while others are higher, but it's also under load as I'm working..

OP
R

RLD

Reaction score
None of those are high temps and perfectly normal. You should be concerned only if it's hovering around 90+ degC constantly. My Mac Mini is siting at 63 degC for the proximity sensor while others are higher, but it's also under load as I'm working..
I'm completely new to Apple stuff and coming from a PC that has numbers in the 20 to low 30s I was a bit concerned.
Thanks for the reply :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iMac pulls air from the bottom and vents it on top once it flows over all the components. So touching the top will be warmer/hotter than the middle or the bottom.

To that end, its important to ensure that those vents are clear of dust and other obstruction.

OP
R

RLD

Reaction score
The iMac pulls air from the bottom and vents it on top once it flows over all the components. So touching the top will be warmer/hotter than the middle or the bottom.

To that end, its important to ensure that those vents are clear of dust and other obstruction.
It went through a thorough de-dusting inside as soon as I got it :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Agree with what Ashwin mentioned...definitely keep things clean.

I would also mention that a 2009 iMac Core 2 Duo is on the older side...and computing in 2021 is certainly more demanding than things were back in 2009...especially GPU related activities. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2009 iMac fan's were running pretty fast as well.

60°C is not really that hot (about 140°F) for an Apple iMac (especially an older iMac)...but always depends what you're doing when you get those temps...and how warm the room is where you do your computing.

Sounds like you know what you're doing since you mentioned replacing thermal paste.:) 2009 iMac's are much easier to open up than much newer iMac's (that's a positive you got going for you).

If you do decide to replace some thermal paste or open it up to do a really good cleaning...head over to:

www.ifixit.com

Great step by step instructions there for disassembly!:)

Nick

OP
R

RLD

Reaction score
Agree with what Ashwin mentioned...definitely keep things clean.

I would also mention that a 2009 iMac Core 2 Duo is on the older side...and computing in 2021 is certainly more demanding than things were back in 2009...especially GPU related activities. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2009 iMac fan's were running pretty fast as well.

60°C is not really that hot (about 140°F) for an Apple iMac (especially an older iMac)...but always depends what you're doing when you get those temps...and how warm the room is where you do your computing.

Sounds like you know what you're doing since you mentioned replacing thermal paste.:) 2009 iMac's are much easier to open up than much newer iMac's (that's a positive you got going for you).

If you do decide to replace some thermal paste or open it up to do a really good cleaning...head over to:

www.ifixit.com

Great step by step instructions there for disassembly!:)

Nick
It was practically free so I figured why not. And it will be used for basic tasks only.

The fans are definitely noticeable, but certainly not bothersome.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 12.34.19 PM.png

I do like the iFixit guides for sure :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was practically free so I figured why not. And it will be used for basic tasks only.

I hear ya. 2009 iMac can still be useful for basic stuff (internet, email, music, some video watching, etc.). But ya know the internet has gotten so complex over time (some webpages especially bad with all the garbage on them)...popups, sliders, too much advertising, videos, etc. You kind of need a higher-powered computer just to surf the internet! Lol

For example...an important & frequently visited website like weather.com...I find to be a real hassle to visit on older computers!:(

Nick

OP
R

RLD

Reaction score
...popups, sliders, too much advertising, videos, etc.

Pi-hole would like a word with you ;)

I'll be shopping around for something better. Maybe a 2015 or so. I'll have to do more research.
Sadly, one ramification of the pandemic is higher prices on all Mac and PC stuff, even the older items.
Maybe last quarter of this year or first of the next, we'll see some decline in prices as demand stalls a bit.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly, one ramification of the pandemic is higher prices on all Mac and PC stuff, even the older items.
Absolutely. I'm on eBay & Craig's List daily looking for anything worthy of upgrading to. I see folks trying to sell used stuff now...for more $$$ than I paid for something 5 years ago! Insane prices for used computers that are 5-7 years old.

Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Absolutely. I'm on eBay & Craig's List daily looking for anything worthy of upgrading to. I see folks trying to sell used stuff now...for more $$$ than I paid for something 5 years ago! Insane prices for used computers that are 5-7 years old.

LOL, if you think that's inflationary, you ought to see the real estate market around here. It's nuts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
LOL, if you think that's inflationary, you ought to see the real estate market around here. It's nuts!

And one could certainly add the General Victoria area crazy real estate price increases to that list as well:
Victoria VE Real Estate Trends
Housing Market Report for June 2021
Current Victoria VE MLS® stats indicate an average house price of $975,791 and 87 new listings in the last 56 days. As of today, Victoria VE housing data shows median days on market for a home is 14 days.
The average house price in March was $1.3 million!!! So it has eased off a little bit. Many offers are often many thousands over the asking price. :rolleyes:

Used Mac prices continue to be high here, and the General Victoria area is one of the highest per capita Mac users cities in Canada. Not sure how it compares to some US cities.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 - 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD - macOS 10.12

The GPU seems a bit hot IMO.
Early 2009 24" iMac here.
Still going strong and used everyday, even for desktop publishing :)
(I've got a PC for gaming, now, but used this same iMac for gaming in BootCamp Windows for years)

Those temps seem average, but if you feel they are too much (or if you touch the top side and it's more than warm), you could use a fan control utility.
IMO the default fan speeds are too "conservative" (to make the iMac silent, I think), hence in summer it becomes too hot.
When I noticed this years ago (Northbridge chip over 70° C), I installed smcFanControl, set some profiles for winter, spring and summer, and voilà, all those temps are now under control.

Fans are noisier now, of course, but I think it's a fair price to pay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
I don't recognize those displays of temps and speeds. Nicer than what little I am aware of. What is giving them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't recognize those displays of temps and speeds. Nicer than what little I am aware of. What is giving them?

If you mean what software is being used to display the temperatures in post #7, it certainly looks like what Macs Fan Control.app can provide, and you can find it here:

Great utility and I have used it successfully for years. I like a cool running Mac. 😉

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
If you mean what software is being used to display the temperatures in post #7, it certainly looks like what Macs Fan Control.app can provide, and you can find it here:

Great utility and I have used it successfully for years. I like a cool running Mac. 😉

- Patrick
=======
Yes, that's it. Nice!
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.