hover text disabled on msn.com

oldtimer42

Reaction score
Hover Text dies not work on MSN.COM (e.g. MSN | Outlook, Office, Skype, Bing, Breaking News, and Latest Videos) but works perfectly in everything else in Safari and MAC apps. It doesn't matter if all adblockers in Safari are enabled or disabled. Generally MSN.COM is immune to adblocking.

Hover text works as it should in Firefox and Chrome.

Hover text is a big help to this old guy with some vision issues.
iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Originally posted in the Community Mar 18, 2023 but no replies received.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hover text works as it should in Firefox and Chrome.

I guess the easy quick solution is pretty obvious, just switch to Chrome or Firefox where things work for you. I guess that might be a reason why so few have not bothered to reply to your problem here.

I gave up using Safari several years ago with its various non-working quirks and don't miss it one bit even though it used to be my favourite browser, back in the days when it actually worked for me.

And by the way, welcome to mac-forums forums and please excuse my rather abrupt reply.

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No issues with hover text with Safari on my Monterey machine with MSN.

OP
O

oldtimer42

Reaction score
I guess the easy quick solution is pretty obvious, just switch to Chrome or Firefox where things work for you. I guess that might be a reason why so few have not bothered to reply to your problem here.

I gave up using Safari several years ago with its various non-working quirks and don't miss it one bit even though it used to be my favourite browser, back in the days when it actually worked for me.

And by the way, welcome to mac-forums forums and please excuse my rather abrupt reply.

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick, I do use chrome, it's just the principle that a feature (Hover Text) is disabled by Microsoft in their extreme efforts to block ad blocker apps. I was wondering if the iOS developers knew about this.

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick, I do use chrome, it's just the principle that a feature (Hover Text) is disabled by Microsoft in their extreme efforts to block ad blocker apps.

I also tend to use Chrome as my main browser, but I don't know anything about "hovering text" or much about "ad blocking" other than my Adblock Plus seems to work well for me, but trying out the MSN.COM example you gave above I cannot read any part of that web page due to its minuscule size and I had cataract surgery 6 months ago with new lenses installed so I don't see how you can even read it with your "vision issues".

I have no idea why it should display so differently from every other web page I normally visit that display normally for me to read without doing any web page view changes.

- Patrick
=======

OP
O

oldtimer42

Reaction score
Hi Patrick. I'm 80 and my vision isn't what it used to be plus I have only a small amount of vision remaining in one eye due to glaucoma. Generally I have found a lot of small screen print difficult to read.

I have mitigated this with good success by having a 24" 4.5K Apple Retina display plus;

-going into the Display setting and selecting are larger screen font such as 1600X900 (second box from left)

-turning off True Tone

-going into the Accessibility > Display and adjusting the contrast and menu bar size

There other setting in Accessibility you can tinker with to improve test size and clarity.

The above helped me immensely. Plus my eye doc gave me Rx lenses specifically made for comptur use - focused 24 to 28 distance from the screen.

Regards Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There other setting in Accessibility you can tinker with to improve test size and clarity.

I am glad you found the vision helpers in your Accessibility Preferences as they can certainly help vision problems a lot.

I'm 82 and use a few of them myself.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.