hot powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Cloudane said:
How reliable are these fans, has anyone had problems with them? They'd better last longer without 'groaning' than the Northbridge fan on my PC motherboard :)

They do the job... don't you have AppleCare? My PB's been on since i brought it back in Dec 2003, when in motion it's sleeping otherwise it's just plugged in and ON with the TFT burning up; even when I'm not using it (maybe the screensaver comes on, but that's it).

Still working... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
mac_noobie said:
I'm getting a 12"powerbook, but I have a targus tornado chillpad... anyone worried about heat might like to check it out, it has 2 large fans that pull any heat produced by the laptop away from the computer and out the back of the pad. http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U

And when your on the road, i suppose you'll carry an extra power-pack huh? You people worry too much, i think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
hype.it said:
You people worry too much, i think.

Totally agree!!!

OP
C

Cloudane

I don't have applecare... it's like half the cost of the Powerbook itself and I was on a tightish budget already. If it costs £300 just to change a fan, then we're getting a bit silly :) Besides, I have faith that Apple have created reliable hardware. If they haven't then it'll be my last, eh :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Apple hardware quality is one of the very outstanding strong points of Mac. The store here is full of Macs of all kinds that are exposed to whatever people wanna do with them and they stand up just great!

OP
M

mac_noobie

hype.it said:
And when your on the road, i suppose you'll carry an extra power-pack huh? You people worry too much, i think.

actually some people like not having the laptop make their wrists sweat when they are using it... It helps makes using a laptop more comfortable when working on it for longer hours.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Cool the temperature in the room you're working in...that helps keep your pb cooler as well. I don't really have a problem with the heat..though I do not denie the pbs can get wicked hot sometimes.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
Apple hardware quality is one of the very outstanding strong points of Mac. The store here is full of Macs of all kinds that are exposed to whatever people wanna do with them and they stand up just great!
Haha, I remember one of the window models crashed... and one of the 15" PowerBooks had the dreaded "bright display" marks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
That happened once on one of the G5s. This guys was trying to show him about OS X and then the thing had a kernel panic. It was hella funny. The guy didnt know what to do! He was stuttering and then someone finally helped him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac_noobie said:
actually some people like not having the laptop make their wrists sweat when they are using it... It helps makes using a laptop more comfortable when working on it for longer hours.

Sweaty wrists... personal problem? I don't wanna know about it. Suggest you see a doctor.

Personally I've never had this problem and I use mine almost everyday. My point being, if you add a laptop cooler, you'll reduce the power for your powerbook to drive the additional coolers via USB. Thus, you need an additional power pack.

attachment.php

I think, if your worried about is it comfortable to use the powerbook for long durations? Yes, it's very comfortable if you are touch typing. May advice you invest in a Wrist Rug as shown above, it's like a bit of carpet for your wrists.

Cloudane said:
I don't have applecare... it's like half the cost of the Powerbook itself and I was on a tightish budget already. If it costs £300 just to change a fan, then we're getting a bit silly :) Besides, I have faith that Apple have created reliable hardware. If they haven't then it'll be my last, eh :D

I don't have AppleCare either. And if i did, i don't think Apple would care about the PowerBook, if my family decide to drop another one on my behalf. If your worried about your system then insure it. AppleCare is really for poorly manufactured parts. Generally speaking, if something works for 4 weeks, it'll continue to work just fine.

I think most people will upgrade after 12-24 months of uses-age. Because they would have earned enough money for a better and faster system. Apple Mac's keep their value fairly well, it's not a disposable PC.

pw_wristrug_1.jpg

OP
C

Cloudane

I'll be upgrading after 36 months, when this one is finally paid for :)

Or perhaps longer... I'm going off credit.

OP
T

tariq

If you use those wrist rugs, they might lower the amount of heat the case can normally dissipate.

OP
C

Cloudane

They do look great :)

Shame they're impossible to find in the UK. I want some, but not enough to pay £15 shipping plus possible import duty :p

OP
M

mac_noobie

well for starters the usb powered fan doesnt take up any more power than if you connected a usb mouse or joystick. But I am really interested in those wrist mats you mentioned cloudain... However what I meant was that over time at least when I type my wrists rest on the laptop for awhile... Eventually the laptop gets hotter and hotter... However that was on my dell where the harddrive was right under your left hand, my apple PB is coming in tomorrow :D .

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Beret, tell them what you did at the Apple Store!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Mine is consistently between 102 and 112 (F) depending on what I'm doing, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cloudane said:
They do look great :)

Shame they're impossible to find in the UK. I want some, but not enough to pay £15 shipping plus possible import duty :p

Import duty? Nah... Simply, you send a money order to someone you know out here... then they'll send you one. You know what i mean?

tariq said:
If you use those wrist rugs, they might lower the amount of heat the case can normally dissipate.

Hi Tariq, This wrist-rug doesn't affect the heat dissipation what so ever! It's made of a porous material not plastic or foam. It allows your system to breath anyway, the system's heat comes out from under your keyboard, and the internal fans direct the heat to slots near the hinge. Doesn't dissipate through the track-pad or wrist area. If this was the case, they would have warning stickers "Caution Hot!" Next you'll be telling me an iSkin is bad also! :D

If you've dismantled a powerbook before, removing everything from logic board to sub frame then you'll know what I'm on about. The only heat coming from the wrist area is generated from your internal hard-drive (generally this runs cool and almost silent) or superdrive, when burning CD's. Although having said that, the 12" PowerBook does get a little warmer around the wrist area, but not hot enough to burn you.

Anyway, the average temperature here in Hong Kong is between 24-37°C and my PowerBook stays on 24/7... it's never crashed or halted from the results of over heating, might on occasions slowed down a little due excessive heat as it's plugged in 80% of the time.

OP
M

mac_noobie

Hey cloud, do you know where I can buy some of those wrist pads for your powerbook? I really want one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.