Host MySQL on Mac Pro access via Mbp remotely

Reaction score
I am expanding my small business and need to get SQL on multiple machines connected to my existing MacPro MySQL database.

I use MySQL workbench and PyCharm (Python) for code and scripting. So I can get MySQL downloaded running and it works fine but I need to access it remotely via my 2014 MBP.

A bunch of people is saying Mac cant do this but I just can't believe Microsoft/Linux has a monopoly on MySQL.

So connecting a 5,1 MacPro to a 2014 MBP remotely.

Guessing this involved Xampp, port forwarding, VPN, ftp, smb or ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you please provide more information about your network and how the Macs are configured and WHAT is actually connecting to the MySQL DB?

You don't need to get all high-tech on this, it's fairly straightforward to get going once we have a more details I do this all the time with various DBs and local/remote machines in my home network.

OP
A
Reaction score
@Raz0rEdge Hi Yes thank you for responding so quickly.

I'm currently in an apartment/condo building on the ethernet connected via cat6 cables, then wire goes to the time machine and four ports of ethernet connect (2) iMac's, Macpro and an Xbox. I use either bash or zsh as my terminal, one machine is running Catalina, another is Big sure and a third is Highsierra for my Nvidia gpu setup.

I don't think the Os version changes the setup but they are all macs. I could run a Linux box or docker or ubuntu if needed but I want at all costs not to touch anything Microsoft-related.

Remotely I'm talking about being anywhere in the world, I want to open my MacBook pro, and connect to the MacPro. I'm open to a few options but I prefer a GUI, so PyCharm or MySql or Knime are all installed, but this is not an area I can speak to as far as "I only want x". I can't get any connection right now so I don't know what my options are. I could be across town at a coffee shop on wifi or in Mexico on vacation where I almost always have NordVPN turned on.

I have Python 3.9 connected using PyCharm and its running via MySQL Workbench I think its MySQL 8. Long term I want to connect to an Oracle MySQL cloud account which I have running but right now I want to keep the data local to a MySQL database running locally but access it over the internet.

The MySQL database I've got running is in test mode as most of my data is on csv in MaryMachine/Data folder but I need to get a MySQL database up for storage which I can do easily its just connecting multiple machines is admin stuff I'm needing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.