hooking a macbook to my tv

Reaction score
hi guys im frustrated it wont work. i have a white macbook from around 2008 and cant get it on my flatscreen.
i have it hooked up from mini dvi to dvi adapter, then dvi to vga adapter, then to my vga input on the tv.
could it possibly be cause of the two adapters?? any help would be great, i just wanna watch some southpark on my big screen!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas but having to use multiple adapters probably has a lot to do with the problem. I'm the king of trying things like this, usually because it uses parts I already have, but it's often a source of frustration.

The first thing I would do is to check the TV documentation. I would want to know if there is another option for connecting the TV besides VGA. Read any information on connecting a computer carefully. Some older TVs almost insist that the computer be connected to a specific port.

The second thing I would try is something like this. This cuts the connection down to one adapter and reduces the complexity and multiplicity of cables during troubleshooting.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks man, yeah i figure its gotta be the 2 adapters. just gonna have to shell out another few bucks and get a mini dvi to vga so i can go straight!
just dont wanna wait for amazon as i had an appendectomy the other day and stuck on the couch!! just sick of watching on my little laptop screen and have no patience ha ha!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.