High-speed fan comes on when too cold?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Long story cut short: I used my iMac in ambient 26°F. When it started, the fan went to high speed mode (crazy...even when it's 85-90 here and it runs all day, the high speed fan has never come on). So is this by design, or did the extreme temperature momentarily set something askew? Works normally now in normal temperatures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
They could code it so that the fan will kick on outside of normal internal temperatures (in either direction). But you're well below the operating range, so who knows.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be. It was so cold that the remote for the TV wouldn't work, and also the TV would randomly shut off.

Furnace failure was the cause for the extreme conditions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Long story cut short: I used my iMac in ambient 26°F. When it started, the fan went to high speed mode (crazy...even when it's 85-90 here and it runs all day, the high speed fan has never come on). So is this by design, or did the extreme temperature momentarily set something askew? Works normally now in normal temperatures.

Well, you're probably lucky that the iMac is 'working normally' - quoted below are the temperature specs for your computer (Source) - next time, fix your furnace first, get your home temperature above freezing, and then test the machine - ;) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 8.12.49 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I knew about thermal shock and was willing to risk it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.