High Sierra support?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
We have a MacBook Pro 13 mid 2010 and a 21 1/2 iMac late 2009 both running High Sierra. That's the latest OS they will run. Has anyone any idea how long Apple will be giving updates on High S? It's the security side we are mainly interested in and do a fair amount of online working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Online working, should be fine if you have your browser updated to current at all times. Obviously, that would rule out Safari, since that is usually updated with the OS.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
That shouldn't be a problem then Bob as we use Waterfox and Waterfox Current. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Both machines are still working well and it will be VERY expensive to replace them! Plus, I like the extra sockets on the MBP compared to the new jobbies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Has anyone any idea how long Apple will be giving updates on High S? It's the security side we are mainly interested in and do a fair amount of online working.

You can check out Apple's various articles on macOS Security if you like, but basically you will be fine if you just use your available Software Update to maintain and add any and all updates available to your Macs.

PS: Apple's Security does not normally Stop or Prevent any scams or phishing attempts or installation of malware. But it may warn of accessing fraudulent and suspicious websites.

Bottom line, be vigilant and careful when online and you should be safe, and keep a fairly current backup just in case you need it If you have anything of value and worth keeping on your Macs.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
PS: Apple's Security does not normally Stop or Prevent any scams or phishing attempts or installation of malware.

Actually, it does attempt to prevent the installation of malware. In fact, there are multiple levels of protection:

XProtect/File Quarantine/Gatekeeper/MRT/SIP

Reaction score
We have a MacBook Pro 13 mid 2010 and a 21 1/2 iMac late 2009 both running High Sierra. That's the latest OS they will run. Has anyone any idea how long Apple will be giving updates on High S? It's the security side we are mainly interested in and do a fair amount of online working.

Apple usually drops support for versions of the Mac OS more than three versions old. However, they have been known to randomly and unexpectedly provide security updates for older versions of the Mac OS when they see a particular threat as being very serious.

However, one has to ask, which security threat are you concerned about? Have you heard of folks running older unsupported versions of the Mac OS suddenly running into security exploits? I haven't. In fact, if you check this very discussion list, which boasts having many thousands of users, you will find few if any legitimate complaints of malware of any kind.

If you have an extremely high need for security (e.g. your business requires it), you could always download commercial anti-virus software.

Also note that just about ALL Web browsers these days (including Safari) come with Google's "Safe Browsing" technology built-in to protect you from poisoned Web sites, drive-by downloads, and phishing sites. Safe Browsing is updated automatically daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Actually, it does attempt to prevent the installation of malware. In fact, there are multiple levels of protection:

Thanks Randy, I could have and should have used better phrasing and sentence structure. I just wanted to imply that some security measures rely on the judgment of the user, along with some hints and cautions from Apple's OS.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just wanted to imply that some security measures rely on the judgment of the user, along with some hints and cautions from Apple's OS.

Like anything else it always relies on how informed the user is. Folks like us who participate in forums or user groups are generally much more aware of the dangers and pitfalls of using a computer or smart phone. Not so with the general public, unfortunately.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Richard. I normally do backups with both CCC and Time M/c.

All of the answers have certainlt given me food for thought and I thank you all for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.