Hey guys complete newbie here thanks for having me

Reaction score
Hey guys newbie here so please excuse me if I’m breaking any rules or posting in the wrong place but I really need some help

I have a MacBook Pro 2011 15” I have just upgraded the ram from 8gb to 16gb I have also replac d the logic board,

I am now having trouble starting up as can’t locate my operating system..... and I can’t download from online either so I have a usb chip with El Capitan on it I was running an OS X before how do I go about installing the new operating system
On to get the MacBook running again please

Again please be gentle with me I am a virgin here ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For a start, try connecting your USB Volume and restart your Mac holding down the option key and see if you cannot select the USB volume and boot from it.

Even if it works, it may be very slow to boot!!! Be patient.

Whether it boots from it or not will depend on how it was created in the first place.

Do you have any other backup or clone you made previously???

PS: Welcome to mac-forums.com.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Welcome to Mac-Forums.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
So I m trying to do the recovery now and am focused on getting this sorted 520AA5DA-39F0-4126-8316-637E50E79643.jpeg tonight if any one can help me through if he very appreciative I have entered disk utility as it will not boot from internet recovery and this is what I have in front of me please can you guide me on where to go now I have the new operating system on a pen drive here aswell and if possible would like to keep the data o have on my ssd drive please any help would be amazing thank you for your time and effort blessing and good heath to all

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks nick glad to be here bud hopefully can get the help I need to get my Mac book running again

- - - Updated - - -

great Thanks for this I have already had a look and am
Stuck already I’m afraid ��

- - - Updated - - -

Hey thanks so much for your insight I have the new operating system on a pen drive and am
Stuck on the disk utility page for now as pictured in my post and I’m not sure where to go from here please help if you can spare the time many thanks bud

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to put in the sub drive of new operating system and wouldn’t boot up from it so I presume I’m going to have to boot up from disk utility but I’m very confused by the disk utility window and don’t want to do something wrong on here as may lose everything etc again thanks for your time and wisdom

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for your insight I have the new operating system on a pen drive and am
Stuck on the disk utility page for now as pictured in my post and I’m not sure where to go from here please help if you can spare the time many thanks bud

OP
T
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Any help would be appreciated I’m here now with quick responses and at my Mac book please help ol wise ones ��������

OP
T
Reaction score
Newbie alert

Hey guys newbie here so please excuse me if I’m breaking any rules or posting in the wrong place but I really need some help

I have a MacBook Pro 2011 15” I have just upgraded the ram from 8gb to 16gb I have also replac d the logic board,

I am now having trouble starting up as can’t locate my operating system..... and I can’t download from online either so I have a usb chip with El Capitan on it I was running an OS X before how do I go about installing the new operating system
On to get the MacBook running again please

I can open disk utility but I am
Stuck when it comes this far as to what to do next and don’t want to mess anything up

BE2360B1-9A13-4BCC-8AE3-6A2B11D65366.jpeg

This is the screen I’m at any guidance on what to do next would be great please ��
Again please be gentle with me I am a virgin here ����

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We combined both your posts together here along with the first post you made.

Please do not cross post or post identical threads in several forums. Moderators will move your post to the proper area if needed. Let's continue this thread here in the Switcher forum where you originally posted.

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ahhh ok thanks as I said I’m a newbie

We understand that completely. We were all newbies at some time in the past.

The pictures you have posted are showing you in Disk Utility (DU). You are not going to get any Operating System (OS) on to your Mac that way.

I know you said that Internet Recovery didn't work for you; but at the risk of annoying you in your frustration, could you try one more time to do this - making sure that you have WiFi turned On and are close to your WiFi unit to get the best signal. I am assuming from your first post that you have never had macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later installed on this Mac.

1. Completely Power Down/Shut Down your Mac

2. Use your right hand fingers to hold down the the following 3 keys on the keyboard: Option - Command - R

3. With these 3 keys held down and kept held down, use your left hand to Power Up the Mac by pushing on the Power Button.

4. Keep those 3 keys held down and wait till the Mac reboots - patience - it takes time to boot up and must make a WiFi connection to the Internet.

5. It should finally boot up with the Internet connection made. Now you can release the 3 keys.

You might have to enter your Admin Password for that Mac, but in any event, Startup is complete when you see the utilities window.

You will then see either this:

S1.png

In which case it is doing the job and just wait, wait, wait till it finishes.

Or you might see this:

S2.png

In this case select "Reinstall macOS" and again wait till it finishes.

Please post back.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you so much for reaponding I have tried this many times and it will not work I have great WiFi connection aswell it says something about permissions from Apple and won’t continue

OP
T
Reaction score
006AB679-2EB1-41DD-BA4D-85E4F152C568.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the error I’m getting have tried so many times now it’s a joke ������

- - - Updated - - -

4AE97354-C6EE-4AB5-ACBA-FA34D9B4EA3A.jpeg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm sorry, I can't read that message. It's short, so can you type it out for us please?

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again

- - - Updated - - -

So i have new operating system
On a pen drive El Capitan version if that helps??

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to respond to me very kind of you btw what a fantastic community

OP
T
Reaction score
I think the lion OS X file on my laptop is broken that’s why I got a usb wit new operating system on that or as I have changed logic board/ram something has changed I really don’t know? ��*♂️��

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did you get Lion from? Reason we ask is that Lion was not free from Apple and was actually a paid version. If you had at one time paid for Lion, Apple will provide you with a URL and code where you can download Lion from. Any other copy of Lion might be suspect. Lion was never offered or available on a DVD like Snow Leopard and versions prior to that.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have no idea the laptop was 2nd hand and had it from a friend about 5/6years who is ther no way to just download the El Capitan from the usb drive I have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.