• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Here’s everything Apple announced at the “One More Thing” event today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
Great so far. Thanks for reporting on this. My knowledge of how all this stuff works is nothing compared to what you guys know. I too will be buying a new iMac when it's released with the M1/M2 (to replace my 2012 model) but in the meantime I want to buy the new MBA 13" with the M1 (to replace my very old iPad). It will be used for when we are away from home and in addition for my wife to learn on. It will be used for the same things I use the current iMac for which is, the internet including watching YouTube videos, email, messages, listening to stored music via the MBA speakers and via our Sonos speakers, (no games) storage of documents, photos and music, no games. So my question is, will I have sufficient RAM with the standard 8GB model? I'm wondering about upgrading to 16GB on the basis I'd like to keep the MBA for say 10 years if possible and I'm thinking that as new versions of Safari and other updates start to use more memory (?) it might be worth spending an extra £200 now to future-proof the machine?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don"t have experience with the newest machines yet, but if you tend to keep your machines for some time, the extra memory is probably a good idea. I usually suggest buying the extra memory later as needed, but many new machines now do not have user-upgradeable memory. Check that carefully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
but in the meantime I want to buy the new MBA 13" with the M1 (to replace my very old iPad).

You might want to read this non-Apple written article:
Apple MacBook Pro 13” M1 Review- Why You Might Want To Pass

A user's bit more realistic view!!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick. I've read that. My take on that review is that I would have to check that the non-native apps I use such as Malwarebytes, Onyx, AdBlock and Sonos will be compatible with M1. With regard to the Apple OS apps that are pre-installed on the M1 MBA they are obviously going to work or they wouldn't be pre-installed, correct? I'm not clear what is meant in the review when he says "The new M1 MacBook will not run native MacOS applications built in the past ten years". Does he mean MacOS apps built prior to the ones pre-installed on the new M1 MBA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You might want to read this non-Apple written article:
Apple MacBook Pro 13” M1 Review- Why You Might Want To Pass

A user's bit more realistic view!!!
=======
I don’t suggest taking anything written by Forbes about Apple products in recent years seriously. They seem to largely be hit pieces with a very cynical, biased attitude. Take this quote from the article:

Want assured software compatibility- The new M1 MacBook will not run native MacOS applications built in the past ten years. This is because the Apple M1 processor doesn’t speak the same software language as the Intel-based Macs. The new M1 MacBook Pro needs to use binary translation to convert Intel instructions to Arm instructions through an app called Rosetta 2. If you experienced Rosetta 1 with the PowerPC to Intel nightmare software transition, you have an idea what you’re getting yourself into. I’m told it should be better than last time, but I’m not seeing it yet.

The writer is full of baloney. This is literally complete and utter nonsense. It’s so absurd I question if he’s even used the new Macs yet. They most certainly do run native apps built in the past 10 years. He even contradicts himself by first saying they can’t, then saying they can under Rosetta 2. His ”experience” doesn’t match mine by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: I’m going to test out some of those apps he griped about later in the article. Brave in particular, I’m certain was working for me. But I’ll give that and more of them a shakedown later tonight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick. I've read that. My take on that review is that I would have to check that the non-native apps I use such as Malwarebytes, Onyx, AdBlock and Sonos will be compatible with M1. With regard to the Apple OS apps that are pre-installed on the M1 MBA they are obviously going to work or they wouldn't be pre-installed, correct? I'm not clear what is meant in the review when he says "The new M1 MacBook will not run native MacOS applications built in the past ten years". Does he mean MacOS apps built prior to the ones pre-installed on the new M1 MBA?

Onyx, no. Not yet. You will have to wait on a compatible version, but that’s nothing new. Every new release of macOS requires a wait for a new, compatible version. The hardware difference is something the developer now has to account for also. The rest should be fine. Virus Barrier runs on mine so no reason to think MalwareBytes is any different. I use AdGuard for ad blocking and it works just fine. I don’t know why any others would be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don’t suggest taking anything written by Forbes about Apple products in recent years seriously. They seem to largely be hit pieces with a very cynical, biased attitude. Take this quote from the article:

The writer is full of baloney. This is literally complete and utter nonsense. It’s so absurd I question if he’s even used the new Macs yet. They most certainly do run native apps built in the past 10 years. He even contradicts himself by first saying they can’t, then saying they can under Rosetta 2.
Thanks. Please continue to keep this thread informed on your new MBA experience:D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Onyx, no. Not yet. You will have to wait on a compatible version, but that’s nothing new. Every new release of macOS requires a wait for a new, compatible version. The hardware difference is something the developer now has to account for also. The rest should be fine. Virus Barrier runs on mine so no reason to think MalwareBytes is any different. I use AdGuard for ad blocking and it works just fine. I don’t know why any others would be different.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
BTW: there's a new site listing compatible apps for Appl's latest macOS BS version:
Is Apple silicon ready?

It seems to be fairly New, so I imagine it will grow fairly rapidly.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Your opinion of the Forbes writer and the article are just one of the many I've read that say the same thing as you do.

I read the complete article and get the impression the writer knows nothing about Apple engineering/ development and much less about Macs.

As we would say in the computer IT and repair business: "He's blowing smoke". Actually, I can't say the complete phrase or I would have to report myself. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your opinion of the Forbes writer and the article are just one of the many I've read that say the same thing as you do.

I read the complete article and get the impression the writer knows nothing about Apple engineering/ development and much less about Macs.

As we would say in the computer IT and repair business: "He's blowing smoke". Actually, I can't say the complete phrase or I would have to report myself. :p

His review can be summarized as ”Well this isn’t how Microsoft does it. WHY CAN’T APPLE BE MORE LIKE MICROSOFT?” I can’t check at the moment, but offhand, some of the apps he griped about not working may have been 32-bit. Others may not work or be buggy under Big Sur, regardless of which hardware platform. Edge is actually supposed to work fine and is ARM-ready per the resource he linked to.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This all sounds very encouraging for someone entertaining an upgrade next year like me. Sooner or later I have to face the transition to the Thunderbolt 3 ports only.
I'm looking at the 13" MBP again and I noticed the speakers are back on top each side of the keyboard again just as an aside to all of the other many differences to my 2015 13" MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This all sounds very encouraging for someone entertaining an upgrade next year like me.

Do you really want to go with an M1 machine especially since you're planning on going back to Bali? From what you've stated before, Apple support is not all that great in Bali. I would definitely say go for it if you were staying at home in Australia where you have excellent Apple support.

I too am encouraged by what "Life" has said about his new M1, but I prefer to wait for the second generation of the new Macs especially since I really have no need for a portable machine. I'd like to replace my iMac with an M1 or M2 version but I know that I will likely have to wait at least another year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
His review can be summarized as ”Well this isn’t how Microsoft does it. WHY CAN’T APPLE BE MORE LIKE MICROSOFT?” I can’t check at the moment, but offhand, some of the apps he griped about not working may have been 32-bit. Others may not work or be buggy under Big Sur, regardless of which hardware platform. Edge is actually supposed to work fine and is ARM-ready per the resource he linked to.

Ok, digging in. Brave, while I've hardly done a comprehensive test, seems to work just fine. In fact, I'm making this post using Brave. 1Password and AdGuard are both working as extensions. I gave Microsoft Edge a whirl. It seems to work just fine also. Contrary to reports, it's NOT a Universal binary. But it works nonetheless.

I find it comical that he complained about Adobe Reader XI 11.0.10 not being installable. That came out in 2014, just for starters. 2014! Why did he cherry pick that? To push an agenda, of course. But let's ignore that for a moment. I downloaded the installer straight from Adobe (link not working). What message do I get? That the package was signed with an expired certificate! it gets better. I didn't go through the installation, but I did unpkg it. And what kind of app is this? A 32-bit app! So yeah, it doesn't run on Apple Silicon. It also doesn't run on Intel running Catalina or later. DUH!

So I go to try Adobe Reader DC, but their website's download page explicitly says "Mac OS Intel". Am I going to let that stop me? Of course not! The writer claimed he tried to install it but it failed with an error message stating "Acrobat DC not yet available for devices with Apple silicon. (Error code: 405).” I got an error message stating "The installation was successful". The app launched and loaded a couple PDFs just fine. Better than fine... FAST! I mean wicked fast!

I'm not going to bother testing/tearing down the rest of his claims. He's a moron at best, a stone cold liar at worst.

screenshot_62.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, digging in. Brave, while I've hardly done a comprehensive test, seems to work just fine. In fact, I'm making this post using Brave. 1Password and AdGuard are both working as extensions. I gave Microsoft Edge a whirl. It seems to work just fine also. Contrary to reports, it's NOT a Universal binary. But it works nonetheless.

I find it comical that he complained about Adobe Reader XI 11.0.10 not being installable. That came out in 2014, just for starters. 2014! Why did he cherry pick that? To push an agenda, of course. But let's ignore that for a moment. I downloaded the installer straight from Adobe (link not working). What message do I get? That the package was signed with an expired certificate! it gets better. I didn't go through the installation, but I did unpkg it. And what kind of app is this? A 32-bit app! So yeah, it doesn't run on Apple Silicon. It also doesn't run on Intel running Catalina or later. DUH!

So I go to try Adobe Reader DC, but their website's download page explicitly says "Mac OS Intel". Am I going to let that stop me? Of course not! The writer claimed he tried to install it but it failed with an error message stating "Acrobat DC not yet available for devices with Apple silicon. (Error code: 405).” I got an error message stating "The installation was successful". The app launched and loaded a couple PDFs just fine. Better than fine... FAST! I mean wicked fast!

I'm not going to bother testing/tearing down the rest of his claims. He's a moron at best, a stone cold liar at worst.

View attachment 32869
I assume everything is still working as you would want it to? Can't wait much longer to get mine, just waiting until the new year arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume everything is still working as you would want it to? Can't wait much longer to get mine, just waiting until the new year arrives.

Absolutely YES! Universal apps are slowly but surely trickling out, but everything I use otherwise works quite well. Hardware-wise, I have an occasional issue with one of my Thunderbolt ports failing to charge, but a reboot fixes it. It really sounds like a firmware fix is in order for that, but I'll have to follow up with Apple on that soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi. I'm back again. Just about to order my MBA. Any recommendations for a case for it for when travelling? Also the correct adaptor for connecting to T.V. and back-up drive. Also, I was considering buying a new replacement iMac (in addition to the MBA) when it becomes available with M1, but as an alternative I could buy a 4K monitor and connect the MBA to it for when I want a bigger screen. A good idea or not? Probably not as convenient as having an iMac? I do have separate speakers, keyboard and mouse for use with a monitor. The MBA will primarily be used for when travelling away from home, hence the consideration to buy a monitor or an iMac for home use, but I might get used to just using the MBA all the time? Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's my suggestion for what it's worth. Since you already have a keyboard, speakers, and mouse, get the second monitor and hold off a bit on a new iMac. This opens up a few possibilities:

1. Connecting the MBA to the monitor gives you extra screen space in either extended or mirrored mode, as you suggested. You may decide that you don't need an iMac.

2. If you decide that you want/need an iMac, the second monitor isn't wasted. Most monitors available now could easily be connected to the iMac as a second monitor. Even though the iMac screen is considerably larger than a laptop, I still find a second monitor useful.

My current secondary monitor has two HDMI ports and a DisplayPort connection. That goes me a lot of flexibility. I currently have an iMac connected to one HDMI port and a cable connected to the other HDMI port. When I need to use the monitor with another computer, I connect the second computer to the spare cable and flip a switch. I've switched from looking at my iMac to looking at the second computer in a matter of seconds. This works with both Macs and PCs that I've tried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's my suggestion for what it's worth. Since you already have a keyboard, speakers, and mouse, get the second monitor and hold off a bit on a new iMac. This opens up a few possibilities:

1. Connecting the MBA to the monitor gives you extra screen space in either extended or mirrored mode, as you suggested. You may decide that you don't need an iMac.

2. If you decide that you want/need an iMac, the second monitor isn't wasted. Most monitors available now could easily be connected to the iMac as a second monitor. Even though the iMac screen is considerably larger than a laptop, I still find a second monitor useful.

My current secondary monitor has two HDMI ports and a DisplayPort connection. That goes me a lot of flexibility. I currently have an iMac connected to one HDMI port and a cable connected to the other HDMI port. When I need to use the monitor with another computer, I connect the second computer to the spare cable and flip a switch. I've switched from looking at my iMac to looking at the second computer in a matter of seconds. This works with both Macs and PCs that I've tried.
Very useful information. Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.