Help with Safari - doesn't understand HTML!

Reaction score
I have a web site: http://www.lenzie.org.uk and I am being told by an acquaintance with an unknown version of Mac "Safari" that they can't see the site at all with that Browser but if they try internet explorer they can.

I have tried it with IE5,7, with firefox even my mobile phone and there is no hint of a problem, but unfortunately, I don't have safari to try it! It passes as good HTML (version 4 transitional), and I'm now at a complete loss as to what might be causing a problem for Safari.

As far as I know the HTML on the site is very simple and I have no idea why this lady might not be able to see the site.

My last hope is to post this here in the hope that some kind sole can help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
It works fine under Safari for me. It's possible your friend has an old version of OS X and Safari 1.x. Still, though, I don't see why HTML would be giving it trouble... maybe you should ask the person to empty Safari's cache. It's been known to cause trouble with some websites for no apparent reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah no problem here either.

OP
P
Reaction score
It works fine under Safari for me. It's possible your friend has an old version of OS X and Safari 1.x. Still, though, I don't see why HTML would be giving it trouble... maybe you should ask the person to empty Safari's cache. It's been known to cause trouble with some websites for no apparent reason.

Discerptor, that's very good news - and thanks for taking a look.

What I didn't mention was that first time she tried it, to be frank my HTML coding was cr*p and full of "floating" tags! If as you imply she might still have the old version of the site in her cache, that might explain why it is still causing a problem.

When you say "empty the cache", is that the same as IE "refresh" or is it a specific safari terminology and how do you do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Most of the time you can just hold the shift key down and click refresh and it will pull a new copy of the page and put it into cache. Cache is basically a directory that stores the webpages so that when you go to that page, it just loads from the directory instead of off the websites server, which makes it load a lot faster. All browsers have cache, unless you specifically turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Discerptor, that's very good news - and thanks for taking a look.

What I didn't mention was that first time she tried it, to be frank my HTML coding was cr*p and full of "floating" tags! If as you imply she might still have the old version of the site in her cache, that might explain why it is still causing a problem.

When you say "empty the cache", is that the same as IE "refresh" or is it a specific safari terminology and how do you do it?

There is an "Empty Cache" function in most browsers, including Safari. In Safari, in the menu bar you go Safari > Empty Cache. Alternatively, Option-Command-E is the keyboard shortcut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.