Help with Photoshop & iphoto....Please!

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im new to Mac & have a couple questions about using Photoshop CS4 & iphoto. I have iphoto 09 & newest version of Mac.

1) When I upload all my photos from my card to iphoto all is ok. They are nicely separated in events. The problem that comes is when I immediately go to edit it in PS. I open CS4 go to file>Open & my newly acquired photos aren't in iphoto (from photoshop, but I will look into iphoto separately & they are there). When I restart my computer then open photoshop>file>open, they will now be there.
I hope I'm making sense. Can someone help me with this. Is there a setting Im missing or haven't checked.
I don't want to right click on the picture in iphoto to open in external editor. I want to open it while in PS.

2) Whenever I open PS. all my plug-ins pop up on my desktop. How can I keep it from doing this?

C

chas_m

As the LOLcats say, "yr doin it rong."

1. Set iPhoto to "pass" the photos into PS CS4. This is found in Preferences -> General -> Edit Photos in:

Once that's done, just double-clicking on a photo will pass it to PS CS4 for editing, and saving the result and quitting PS CS4 will pass it back to iPhoto. Simple.

2. I have no idea what is causing the phenomenon you describe with the plugins. My only guess would be that you are running PS from a locked disk image, which would mean a couple things (but I don't want to be presumptuous yet).

OP
S
Reaction score
Chas, Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Now that I have it set to edit in CS4, does that mean that I can't edit it in iphoto also without it opening in PS all he time?

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, I did what you suggested. I just DL more photos from card to iphoto. Opened up CS4 & the pictures that are in iphoto are still not showing up in photoshop.

C

chas_m

Again: you don't open up CS4.

You double-click on the photos IN IPHOTO. This causes Photoshop to launch BY ITSELF, and opens the photo in question automatically.

And to answer your previous post, yes you can still edit a picture in iPhoto if you want -- you just can't double-click on the picture to edit it. You have to select the photo in iPhoto by single-clicking it, then click on the "Edit" button on the bottom left.

Here's a URL that may explain this better since it has pictures to go with the explanation: How to edit iPhoto photos in Photoshop CS3

OP
S
Reaction score
No, No, no, Your missing my problem. When I download new pictures to iphoto from my CF card they are NOW in iphoto. I see them there.
When I open PS CS4 and go to file>open & get one of those NEW photos (that I just uploaded from my camera card to iphoto) the new pictures are not showing up. I cannot choose one of them to edit in photoshop. When I restart my computer they will then NOW show up for me to edit.
I still don't know if Im making myself clear :Confused:

Reaction score
Ummm, I dont know how your going about trying to view your iphoto file in photoshop but let me try to help anyway...

I am sure you realize that your Iphoto library is a 'package' which is comprised of several folder (i.e. originals, modified etc.) and metadata that iphoto assigns for internal use (i.e. event, faces, date etc.) and if your in PS CS4 and you click on file>open>(yourname)>pictures>"iphoto library" photoshop is not going to understand that your iphoto library is essentially a folder...

That said... I have used iphoto in conjunction with photoshop for years and have always found it easiest to use iphoto to organize my photos and handle metadata (as opposed to Adobe Bridge) and when I want to edit a file I just drag and drop it from iphoto to the photoshop icon in my dock...

I am not sure what causes the anomaly you described in your last post but it doesn't sound like a glitch it sounds like a procedural issue with how Iphoto catalogs its contents... If having your photos there immediately is that important to you, I would suggest quitting Iphoto using 'activity monitor' and then restarting it (because it is likely that it has more to do with restarting Iphoto than it has to do with restarting your computer)... This will not solve your problem but it will tell you if that makes the photos visible in PS CS4 and potentially give you a starting point for tracking down a solution...

Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.