Help with new external drive

Reaction score
Just purchased a Maxtor Mini 4 for use as backup for my Imac. I'm having a bit of trouble. The Mac doesn't recognize the drive. Parallels picked it up, but even after turning the virtual machine off, the Mac still hasn't seen the drive. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I have a Maxtor 4 Plus and it took me awhile to figure out how to get my Mac to recognize it. I finally read the info on Maxtor's (i.e., Seagate's) website.

Here are some instructions from the Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus and 4 Mini manual:

2. What do I do if my computer doesn’t recognize my OneTouch 4?

It can take your computer up to two (2) minutes to recognize a OneTouch 4. If your computer does not see the drive after several minutes, try the following:

• Verify that power and interface cables are properly connected,

OneTouch 4 Mini Users: Make sure to connect the interface cables in the following sequence:

1 Power + Data
2 Power Only
3 Type B Interface directly to the OneTouch 4 Mini

• Macintosh Users: Make sure the OneTouch 4 drive is mounted on the Apple Desktop and is recognized in the System Profiler.

• If you’re connecting through an USB Hub, make sure it’s a powered USB Hub.

• Did you set a DrivePass password on the OneTouch 4 and then move it to another computer? If so, the other computer cannot see the locked OneTouch 4. You must either install the Maxtor Manager on the other computer and unlock the drive or return the OneTouch 4 to the original system and disable DrivePass through the Maxtor Manager.

If the above information from Maxtor doesn't work, try the following:

1. Turn on and boot up your Mac.

2. Plug the power cord from the Maxtor drive into an outlet and turn it on. Plug the power cord into the Maxtor drive and let the drive warm up.

3. Connect a USB or FW cable into your computer (not into a hub) and then connect the cable to the drive.

If none of that helps, contact Maxtor/Seagate directly ([email protected]). They were very helpful when I had problems.

Claire

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Claire. I went to the Seagate site and found what you posted. It also appears that not all USB cables are alike. I wasn't using the cable that came with the drive figuring that it was simply a USB cable. The light came on and I figured everything would work. Well after switching to the supplied cable, everything went well and the drive mounted and installed. Thanks for your response though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.