Help with mounting drives (and parallels)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Hey guys,

On my new macbook - one day old!!!, I'm having problems mounting drives. When I first ran the macbook, it picked up my WD Passport 320GB and mounted it. When I configured bootcamp, it showed both partitions of my internal plus the passport on the desktop within leopard.

My mac friend setup macfuse and ntfs 3g so i can read and write to ntfs in mac.

I setup parallels (which isn't working) and now can only get access to the Mac partition. When I boot into windows, I can see the passport and access it fully. Does this mave something to do with NTFS? Parallels?

Plz help me out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've done quite a bit with a one day old machine! :Smirk: Not sure I understand the rush to employ both Boot Camp and Parallels.... but anyway, when in Windows you will not be able to "see" your OS X partition. Nothing to do with Parallels. Your Mac OS X partition is formatted to HFS+ which can not be accessed by Windows unless you install a third party driver. MacDrive 7

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ ($49.95)

If you like to play Windows games, Boot Camp is really the best solution to running Windows as it will run XP or Vista at native speeds. The disadvantage of course is having to reboot each time. Parallels is a convenient way to run Windows but does not provide enough speed or graphics rendering for most games.

BTW, a better solution to reading\writing to NTFS while in OS X is "Paragon NTFS" http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ ($39.95) In my opinion, it works much better than the free MacFuse NTFS 3G combo. Others will probably disagree. :D

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
OK. I reinstalled MacFUSE and everything worked after a reboot, lol!

Is there a trial of Paragon I can give a try? How is it better? Does it do the same thing? Would I have to uninstall MacFUSE and NTFS 3G to install Paragon?

Thanks for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They have a 10 trial version that can be downloaded from here:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/download.html

And yes, I believe you should uninstall the MacFuse - NTFS 3G before testing the Paragon driver. If MacFuse NTFS 3G is working OK for you, don't mess with it. Although I believe the Paragon driver is superior, if it's not broke, don't fix it. :Smirk:

Have fun with your new MacBook and don't try to do too much at once. ;D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.