help with hidden files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 3rd Generation, 16 GB, Black, WiFi only
How about you send a sample of those pics and we'll do some screenshots to show you how to make a encrypted .dmg.... lol only jkin

To make an encrypted .dmg open disk utility (spotlight for it) click on new image, give it a name, where you wana save it and what size u want it, and for encryption choose AES-128.

LOL, my GF would kill me...

I'll do this soon as I get home, you guys are very helpful, thanks a ton.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8ghz 4GB RAM
Apple provides a step by step "recipe" for creating an encrypted .dmg file here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

As for cached thumbnails, I tracked this down myself when I first got a Mac, but never did find any place that Macs do this. In my case, I was worried about keeping "trash" cleaned up - I didn't want an ever expanding cache of useless thumbnails (if you know Linux, think about the ~/.thumbnails directory... it just grows and grows and grows...), but as far as I could ever tell, Macs don't do this. I would welcome anyone who knows differently to please post back.
I tried to make .dmg file following these steps. I guess I am confused on how to get the actual files in it. I selected it and it wound up putting the .dmg file inside the folder I wanted to use. When I click the icon it does nothing. Doesn't even ask for a password. It will flash and then do nothing.

I was going to try the terminal way but that seems a little advanced for me seeing as how I've only had the computer for two days. I am at a loss and would greatly appreciate anyones help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.