help with apple powerbook g4

Reaction score
need help with my apple powerbook g4 operating system issues and broswer issues. what is the highest os i can upgrade to? is it worth the money to upgrade? can't get updates from apple. internet browswer outdated and can't find a download for newer version. web browsing really kind of sucks! i just needed the computer for internet browsing and photos.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
More details please. Model, year, OS, and specifically what problems with OS an browser.

OP
D
Reaction score
apple powerbook g4

its a powerbook g4 15" 1.33ghz, 2gb ram, running Mac OS X 10.3.3. i think its a 2005

OP
D
Reaction score
apple powerbook g4

the os i think is just outdated and the browser won't load facebook or other websites normally. it looks like html a lot. i think thats what you call it. i can't find a browser download to update the current browser. just majorly stuck. i bought the computer on ebay and didn't realize i would have these problems.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Have a look at this thread. I think it covers your issue fairly well. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3569712?start=0&tstart=0
At the end of the day updating your operating system to the latest version you can run will probably solve your problems but it will cost you money. Did the laptop come with the original software installation discs? If so you could at least start up from these discs and run Disc Utility to see if there are any software problems or even reinstall the existing operating system.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
hello

it did come with the installation dvds and i did reinstall the day i recieved the laptop. the system runs just fine, it just seems outdated. like i mentioned the browser. the webpages either load or they come up all oldschoolish! im just worried if i update that the same thing will happen because its not an intel based unit. i had read something about the g4 is differnt from the newer intel based systems. thanks for your help though!

OP
D
Reaction score
hello

so i read the thread that you sent me. thank you very much. really helpful! but now my question is lol. can i upgrade to 10.5.8 from 10.3.3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas PowerPC G4s are outdated. Very much outdated. The latest operating system it will handle is OS X.5 Leopard and full retail install DVDs on eBay will run you about $55 or so. Only black full retail install and not the silver grey model specific discs it sounds like you have in Panther OS X.3.

Do not expect too much from the G4. Apple stopped support for Leopard a couple of years ago now and there are no more updates. And browsing will be slow and not very secure.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks a lot guys. i probably should have done more research before buying this computer. didn't realize the whole technology switch they had. but i bought it for $200 and stuck with it. so i just got to make the most of it! i really only need it for storing my pictures and going online for this and that. no major streaming or anything. so if i can atleast update it enough for my web browsing,iphone ipad and camera to work... im good.

C

chas_m

There's no point in wasting any more money on that machine, it's insecure and really should not be on the net at all at this point.

However, having said that you might consider downloading a program called TenFourFox that may help with at least the browsing. I'm not sure if it will run on 10.3.3, I would suggest that if you can get a cheap copy of Tiger (10.4) you do so, update it to the last version and leave it there (Leopard, 10.5, is too much money to be worth the bother).

If I were you I'd find some contemporaneous software for 2005, load that on and take it permanently offline. It's a typewriter now.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afraid chas-m is correct. Without the latest security updates using it on the internet for eMail or heaven forbid banking would be unwise to say the least. For casual web browsing you could try Camino it is one of Mozilla's browsers, pretty lightweight but I believe there is still a version for 10.3.9 available but you have 10.3.3.
Also you say, "so if i can atleast update it enough for my web browsing,iphone ipad and camera to work... im good". I'm sad to say that will not be possible. Assuming your devices are running iOS 7 you will need iTunes11 to sync which in turn requires 10.6.8 or later to install. As for your camera that may well be useable with the old version of iPhoto but bear in mind this is an old computer and I would not want to trust my precious photos even to a new laptop without a backup.
My suggestion; sell it on eBay to someone who knows what they are buying. There are plenty of enthusiasts and collectors out there. At least you may be able to get your money back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.