HELP!!! Stuck DVD

J

jascor

Hi I'm new to the forum and fairly new to macs. My PB has suddenly refused to acknowledge a DVD and as a result I can't eject the disk. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
You opened finder and click on the eject icon next to the DVD name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try going in terminal and use the umount -f command

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah it worked for a friend of mine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
also try restarting the computer and hold down the mouse button when it is booting up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
have u figured out a way to solve your problem?

OP
J

jascor

Thank's for the ideas everyone. Unfortunately still no luck I have gotten a little closer however. At least the computer is acknowledging the disk now. I'm not exactlty sure how this happened I took it to Comp USA to see if they could help (you guys were way more helpful. All they could suggest was leaving it there for four to six weeks) when I got back home the disk was on the desktop. It still won't eject but at least I'm a little bit closer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Maybe close everything and log on as root and in terminal try umount -A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Open Firmware

jascor said:
Thank's for the ideas everyone. Unfortunately still no luck I have gotten a little closer however. At least the computer is acknowledging the disk now. I'm not exactlty sure how this happened I took it to Comp USA to see if they could help (you guys were way more helpful. All they could suggest was leaving it there for four to six weeks) when I got back home the disk was on the desktop. It still won't eject but at least I'm a little bit closer

Shift - Command - O - F when you reboot the computer. It will put you into Open Firmware. Type eject-cd (or cd-eject, I forget) and it will pop out. Then type mac-boot to continue the boot process.

Had to do this when Toast made coaster (someone gave me a low quality CDR to make them a data disc) and used this option to get it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.