Help, spilled soda on Macbook.

Reaction score
Hello all,

Spilled soda on a macbook 13" (white) and it shut down and will not restart. It is out of warranty. Is it easy to replace the motherboard? I'm pretty sure that is what fried. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Let it dry out for a week, then give it a shot. As for how easy the logic board is to replace depends on whether or not your mechanically inclined, Also logic board is going to run you at least $350-$800 just for the part.

C

chas_m

The sweetener in that soda will corrode and kill more than the motherboard. If it had been water, you'd have had a shot at full recovery. With soda, it's highly unlikely that thing will ever work 100% right again. Sorry to rain (soda) on the parade, but that's been my experience as a former tech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The sweetener in that soda will corrode and kill more than the motherboard. If it had been water, you'd have had a shot at full recovery. With soda, it's highly unlikely that thing will ever work 100% right again. Sorry to rain (soda) on the parade, but that's been my experience as a former tech.

That's a good point the acidity will eat up everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Your best chance at salvaging anything from that computer is to open it up right now... take out the motherboard and wash it in distilled water... that is your only hope of stopping any further damage to the motherboard... but there is a good chance that enough damage has already been done to toast the motherboard.

replacing the motherboard isn't terribly hard, I've done it myself from a liquid spill... the reality though is a motherboard isn't cheap. You will end up paying about $500 for one and then you could find out that their is more damaged besides the motherboard in which case you might easily drop another 200 dollars into making it work... In hindsight I think I would have been better off trying to find a used macbook to replace the one I revived from a liquid spill... As I recall it was 490 for a motherboard... 120 for a dvd drive... 30 for the power board... so 640 plus all the shipping costs of those parts... plus the time I spent doing it all... and that doesn't count the myriad of chemical cleaners I used to get the stickyness out of the keyboard.

I think you might be better off selling you macbook as is on ebay and just getting another one... it will likely cost you less in the long run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2010
I agree, sell it for parts, buy a new one (or save up, like I am, I fried my MBP 13 two weeks ago with coffee..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.