Help Please MacBook Keeps Shutting Down

Reaction score
Hi Mac Gurus!

New to the forum.

I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro. I erased the hard drive and reinstalled El Capitan. Now when I'm powering up, it shuts down while at the grey start up screen. Luckily I saved all my files to an external. At this point, it seems like a hard drive failure. I'll probably upgrade to a SSD (Samsung EVO 850 seems popular) My question is, how would I go about installing El Capitan on the new SSD if I'm unable to boot up my MacBook right now. I read that I can create a USB bootable drive but don't I have to download and create it on my mac? (Which won't boot up) I don't need to clone my old HD as there's nothing on it so trying to find best solution.

Thanks for any input!

Roger

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You could use the Internet Recovery Option. This will reinstall whatever OS came with your Mac. From there, you can update to a newer OS. If your Mac had 10,6 (Snow Leopard) initially you'll need to use the disc that came with your computer to purchase a Snow Leopard disc from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.