help needed with itunes (unknown artist is missing)

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a MacBook with os xo10.5 on it. Itunes is the latest I think 9.0.3.
a few days ago I added a song to my lybrary but still couldn't see it in itunes. I shearched for it in itunes, but nothing. than I chacked the folder where itunes puts music. (music>itunes>itunes music) and the song was in the unknown artist folder. when I looked for this in the itunes sidebar, it wasn't there. Unknown artist is gone from my itunes. I don't know how it happaned. can anyone help me get it back?? I now can't download itunes again because the internet download limit... so any suggestions?

thanks

Aron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont like asking this question
But do you have a backup ??

OP
J
Reaction score
you mean backup of my music? they're mostly from cd's so I have them there. but nothing else, which is not on the computer.

Reaction score
So you DID find the song you were looking for in Finder (in the iTunes music folder) but it just doesn't show up in iTunes itself?

Try double clicking the song in Finder?...(it should open it with iTunes and add it in again)

OP
J
Reaction score
Ye I tried double clicking and itunes opened right the way, but nothing happaned after that. the music wasn't playing. so yes it is in the finder (itunes folder>unknown artist) but it's not in itunes.

Any ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if that file is corrupted? Right click on it and try to play it in Quicktime. Is this an MP3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Might be time to get them back off your CD's mate ... Looking like that they are gone Had similar problem and i had to restore again from the CD's :(
Without expensive data recovery software.
Maybe just maybe try repairing permissions
Empty trash
Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and select your HD in the left column then the repair permissions tab. Once completed, log out then back in again and see what gives.
After that as i stated i would go and restore them via your CD's

Post back with the outcome ...
Sorry cant come up with a definitive answer for you :(

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
well thanks for all the answers. no the file is not corrupted, it plays with other player. this happaned to all the songs, that would have gone to the unknown artist folder in itues sidebar. when i get home i might just download itubes again and see what happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.