Help!! Need to replace macbook 5.1 mobo

Reaction score
I have a old macbook uni late 2008. the problem is there is no single spare mainboard for my mac in my country,so i wonder if i can replace it with mbp or mb 2009 and 2010's mobo with the same a1278 number(i dont know what it is)? I really need help,thanks

C

chas_m

I can't verify it, but the chances are incredibly low that that will work.

You've had nearly eight years with that machine, it's obsolete and well behind the times. It's time to buy something new(er) is the hard truth here. Yes, I know, not a good time/no money/etc, but all computers fail eventually and this is not a surprising fact, so one must always understand this when using an older machine. Computers NEVER die when it is convenient. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.Well,i cant get a new laptop now so the only choice ive is replacing its mobo,but as u see,there are only newer mobos available so i dint think that ive any choice here. Btw, what is a1278 means?

C

chas_m

It's a model number, but Apple uses them rather haphazardly. I'm not saying I know for a fact its impossible that your original idea wouldn't work -- just that it is unlikely. Your best bet is probably to check iFixit.com for instructions on swapping out the motherboard on your model, possibly an email to them would clear up if your idea is tenable or not. Good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well,i cant get a new laptop now so the only choice ive is replacing its mobo...

No…these are not your only choices. Another choice is to purchase another used working computer.

When it comes to Apple computers…replacing the logic board in many cases can be almost as expensive as just purchasing another computer. Make this an opportunity to upgrade to something newer than the 2008 MacBook. Look for a working 2009, 2010, or 2011 computer.:)

This is less expensive than buying new…and an upgrade from the 2008 MacBook.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.