Help my find my picture

Reaction score
So i made a mistake yesterday. I had to factory reset my macbook. But i lost a family picture i really want to get back. And so dumb i am i have no time machine copy of my picture. Are there any way for me to get it back? And how :// all help is highly appreaciated. Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How did you do the factory reset? Assuming you've done a re-install of macOS either by erasing the HD or not, there's likely no chance of recovering that picture.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@johnjames37,

You have my deepest sympathy. You did what you had to and, sadly all is lost because you didn't have a backup. Time Machine is baked into the Mac, is free and only needs an External Hard Drive to save everything by the hour.

We've all been there and that's how we learn.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Ian. Yea I don't know why I've probably just not thought it through...

Yea Ashwin I did the re-install of mac os. I had it under my photos just the normal application. But I can seem to recover it from my iCloud so I tried disk drill just in case it worked but it did not, unfortunately. And yes I erased the HD/SSD. I will start using an external hard drive from now on I guess my lesson is learned. I've just had heard that police said you could almost not erased any file from a computer and since I'm not a genius I thought maybe there would be a way.

Regards John.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you hadn't already setup Photos syncing to iCloud, that wouldn't help, but not a bad thing to look into for the future. An external drive is also a good idea in addition to a second backup type thing like Time Machine or something else.

If photos are your biggest priority, you might want to think about a photo hosting site and use that to store your pictures in a nicely accessible way beyond just a dumping ground.

Recovering files is possible if you just delete it and do nothing. A lot of recovery apps are reconstruct the data at that point. Once you erase the partition and re-create it, it gets harder. Once you do a re-install, it gets nearly impossible because you've overwritten the space that previously held pieces of you files. So, even if you manage to grab some pieces, they won't make any sense without enough of them to put something meaningful together.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice Ashwin I will look into backing up a lot more than I have done I guess I just missed the photo backups idk. Normally I just back up my files on google drive if it's like text docs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Pardon the silly question. Don't other members of the family have this photo also?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.