HELP! my alt key is stuck, pressed, but not (Not physically)

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 13 (mid 2012)
my alt key is stuck, pressed, but not.
When I type, symbols appear instead of letters, as if pressed.

The mac already connects directly to selecting discs, as if pressing alt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Try an SMC reset. Fortunately, it uses the Alt key as part of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
This might not be very helpful but have you tried a GOOD blast from a compressed air tank ( not too much pressure though) all round the ALT keys whilst pressing the key in all directions. This is a complete layman's answer not, repeat NOT an expert's answer. I am not a computer expert at all - believe me, more the opposite really! Might be worth a try - bits of dust can cause a short circuit.

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This might not be very helpful but have you tried a GOOD blast from a compressed air tank...

Keith, that is a very sensible and logical possible fix.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Patrick, thank you, just goes to show I can be useful sometimes.

Keith in Derby England,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
We wait with bated breath to learn if the blast was the solution...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We wait with bated breath to learn if the blast was the solution...

Or if any other solution was tried, with or without success.

I didn't check Ifixit.com to see if those keys were easily accessible for cleaning etc.

Were those Mac models eligible for any Extended keyboard cover fix change due to sticky keys??? But probably too old now If they were.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were those Mac models eligible for any Extended keyboard cover fix change due to sticky keys??? But probably too old now If they were.

Nope. As you stated, it's too old and the 2012 models were never included anyway. And, I would not attempt to pull the keys off the keyboard to clean underneath. Unless you really know how to do that, it usually results in damage. And a machine that old is not worth replacing the keyboard and top case.

Reaction score
Nope. As you stated, it's too old and the 2012 models were never included anyway. And, I would not attempt to pull the keys off the keyboard to clean underneath. Unless you really know how to do that, it usually results in damage. And a machine that old is not worth replacing the keyboard and top case.
Yeah,it is too old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Alexander[
QUOTE="AlexanderWang, post: 1873162, member: 406639"]
Yeah,it is too old. [/QUOTE]

Alexander, I think I would be inclined to give this Solution a try If it is still stuck, and check out the linked video:
How do I clean sticky keys?

Just take some care and time and maybe a few drops of Isopropyl Alcohol might help.

If nothing else works, maybe see if some Keyboard shortcuts mapping might work to get a functional "option key" you could use.

Good luck

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Alexander, I think I would be inclined to give this Solution a try If it is still stuck, and check out the linked video:

Patrick: He is not the original poster.

However, perhaps the OP will see your post and give it a try. By the way, the method you linked to is not as easy as the article makes it appear. Key tops normally do not come off easy especially on keyboards as old as that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick: He is not the original poster.

However, perhaps the OP will see your post and give it a try.

Thanks Charlie.

I would think the OP should get an e-mail of all related posts and act on them as they see fit.

I would think it would be worthwhile, and as long as they take some care doing so, they should get some satisfactory working results.

It seems odd that the OP hasn't posted back so we may never know of any results they might have had, good or bad. But not that unusual I guess.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would think the OP should get an e-mail of all related posts and act on them as they see fit.
My experience is that I get ONE email when there is a new post in my threads, then nothing for any other posts until I come to the thread and read the posts. Then I get ONE more when there is a new post after that. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My experience is that I get ONE email when there is a new post in my threads, then nothing for any other posts until I come to the thread and read the posts. Then I get ONE more when there is a new post after that. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

That is how the old VBulletin listserve used to work but that seems to have changed even with older versions with other listserves I'm on that I still use. I haven't noticed things working that way with Mac-forums for quite a while now, and I don't recall changing any settings anywhere.

- Patrick
=======

OP
F
Reaction score
Incredibly, the key that appears pressed changed from ALT to SHIFT, I removed the keys and cleaned them underneath, and even though they were outside the mac it appeared as pressed. The solution will be to change the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and even though they were outside the mac it appeared as pressed.

Too bad there wasn't just something small and visible that was causing the keys to stick. It sounds like a small round object rolling up-and-down under the key(s).

Here are some videos for you to peruse and get familiar with before you get around to changing the keyboard:

Are you sure that there isn't something hiding under those sticking keys, and save having to do a keyboard swap??? :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds more like a damaged keyboard ribbon cable or its connector. In any event, you will probably wind up replacing the keyboard.

Make sure you inspect the battery for any swelling. That will cause problems with the keyboard and trackpad if the swelling is bad enough. Probably a good idea to replace the battery at the same time since that machine is 8 years old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorted out! I bought a new keyboard for the open market and made the exchange at home.

Glad to hear you seem to have got your problem fixed to your satisfaction.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try an SMC reset.

Maybe check and read the previous posts next time as your suggestion was already mentioned Jan 8, 2021 and the fix was already mentioned Jan 30, 2021.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.