Help me with trashes

Reaction score
So i got those files on my external hd. Could someone tell me is it dangerous or not and if it is, how to get rid of it? I've been searching on the internet but I still couldn't tell is it dangerous or not and can't get rid of it. Thanks Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 11.18.44 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's normal. Those files are created by the system whenever you attach an external hard drive or flash drive to your Mac. It's best to leave them alone unless you're using that drive for storing Windows files.

And Welcome to our forums.

Reaction score
And do you really need to show invisible files on that drive?

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't know I didn't do anything.... That's why I'm so confused since I've never experienced it before

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
And do you really need to show invisible files on that drive?

Hi Craig - I'm just curious why our OP is even seeing those 'hidden' files (i.e. the ones preceded by a period), especially if just viewing the external HD via Finder? I plugged in one of my HDs (CCC backup for my MBAir) and in Finder, just the usual folders are shown - is there a setting in Finder to view the 'hidden' files?

Then, I opened 'Terminal' and changed to 'Volumes' and selected the external HD - did a 'ls -a' and obtained the image below w/ a LOT of 'hidden' files including those listed by our OP - agree that these (and the others in my list below) are expected, but why should our OP be seeing these files?

@ OP - please explain exactly how you are viewing this particular HD, i.e. just through Finder or in another manner? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 11.31.49 PM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
It's normal. Those files are created by the system whenever you attach an external hard drive or flash drive to your Mac. It's best to leave them alone unless you're using that drive for storing Windows files.

And Welcome to our forums.

thank you ! ^^

Reaction score
Have you copy/pasted anything lately into Terminal? Something like "defaults write............." to show hidden files?
Or played with something like Tinkertool or Onyx?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.