Help me understand Spaces!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I did a topic search and was surprised to find none with Spaces as the topic!

I'm just a little confused about it's use. Is it a true multi-desktop feature or a complex GUI trick? For example, could I run a full-screen video on one and then switch to other running apps in another, keeping the full-screen running? If I use Parallels for Windows, will I be able to have Windows running full-screen in one space and switch to my Mac apps running in another?

I heard there is already a third party app that creates this feature. Can someone tell me where to find it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The 3rd Party App you are looking for is VirueDesktop.

I use it with Parallels and swap (full screen) between multiple OS's (OSX, Ubuntu, XP, etc..)

My guess is "Spaces" will operate a lot like this, but with some added features, like Expose' showing ALL desktops at a glance, and the ability to drag apps from on desktop to another, etc...

The truth is... we won't know until it is released.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as I can run full-screen programs, like videos or full-screen Windows, and still switch between desktops, that's all I need. I wonder if you can view 2 desktops when using 2 monitors.

I'm actually surprised it's taken a company to make this a mainstream feature since it's been around for so long in other operating systems. I remember my freshman year in college when I first worked with UNIX with true multitasking and multiple desktops. I thought it was so great and couldn't wait for Microsoft or Apple to have the same feature. I had no idea it would take 10 years!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The one catch is... you can't open the same app in 2 different desktops... If you have a quicktime video playing in Desktop #2... then go to open another QT video in desktop #3... the desktop will rotate (or what ever animation you have chosen) to Desktop #2...

Hopefully Spaces addresses this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, that's not true. I have windows from all sorts of programs open on different desktops. Like if I have multiple Pages documents open, I can have one on Desktop 1 and another on Desktop 2.

VirtueDesktops is an amazing piece of software. I've had it installed since the first week I got my Macbook and couldn't imagine using my computer without it.

The only difference I know of with Spaces is that you'll be able to drag applications from one desktop to the next. I believe Expose will have something to do with it. There IS a program out there that mimics Spaces far better than VirtueDesktops, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You are probably thinking of YouControl Desktops

How are you using the same app on different Desktops... some setting I do not know of????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I use Desktop Manager. It's really slick. Check out the transitions.
http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/
Moving things from one desktop to the other is a simple keystroke.

Oh, and it's free =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are probably thinking of YouControl Desktops

How are you using the same app on different Desktops... some setting I do not know of????

Ah yes, YouControl, that's exactly what I was talking about :)

As for getting different windows of the same program, that takes a bit of a trick. First you minimize all open windows of the program. Then you go to the desktop you want it open on and click the particular window in the Dock. Then switch to another desktop and do the same thing with any remaining windows. I know, it sounds like a pain, but you'll become a pro in no time ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Ah yes, YouControl, that's exactly what I was talking about :)

As for getting different windows of the same program, that takes a bit of a trick. First you minimize all open windows of the program. Then you go to the desktop you want it open on and click the particular window in the Dock. Then switch to another desktop and do the same thing with any remaining windows. I know, it sounds like a pain, but you'll become a pro in no time ;)
jeez thats a lot of work. Desktop Manager does not have this problem. You open a window, it stays put on one desktop. Switch to another desktop, open a new window of the same program... no problem. Different desktop = different windows.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YouControl looks nice. I'd like to try the free one if anyone else can vouch for it. I like to have a couple first-hand experience testimonials before I go downloading and using free apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried both Desktop Manager and VirtueDesktops and both work great. I think the only reason I stuck with VirtueDesktops over DM is because of the Smackbook option ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.