help me please.

Reaction score
whenever i download an program on my mac, say for instance an update, when i go to install it, it comes up with a .pkg file and asks me to select an application to help open the program in???? any help? as i think i may have deleted something by mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
What are options for Applications to open it with?

OP
S
Reaction score
it lets me choose anything i want, but my mac never used to do this, only after i deleted limewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. So if you find a .pkg file, select it and hit Command+I (Get Info).

You get something like this... Is Installer not an option in the open with box? If it is, select that and hit change all.

211jrcn.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it!

Select the .pkg and press Command+I again. In the 'Open with' box click 'other' and it should open a window for you to find the application. Go to Your HD> System> Library> CoreServices. In there should be 'Installer.app'. Chose that one, then click 'change all' and give it a go.

If that doesn't fix it then I haven't a clue.

OP
S
Reaction score
i dont seem to have installer.app?? anyway i can get it without having to restore factory settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could Archive and Install - all your data would stay the same, you just re-install the OS.

Pop in the OS X disk and restart, holding down the C key at start-up, you should be able to do it from there.

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest, I don't even know how you could have deleted that!

HANG ON - Are you running 10.5 or something else?

If you're running 10.4 or earlier the Installer.app would be somewhere in your Applications> Utilities folder.

OP
S
Reaction score
so if i do the archive and install then i wont lose my pictures or music?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.