Help - Mac OSX - Powerbook G4 - Model A1138

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a PowerBook G4 computer, which I have deleted OSX on. I do not have the original installation CD / DVD, so I called Apple and see if they could send me one. There I was told that they no longer support my computer / software so they could not send me any new installation disks. I was told at Apple, and ask about the various Mac forums for help.

I found Mac OSX 10.4.3 (torrent) which was the last version to my computer. I burned the OS to a DVD and put it in my machine. (Apple said it was ok and download it if I found it) The machine starts from the DVD, but freezes either at the Apple logo with the spinning gear wheel, or at the start of the blue screen with the mouse pointer in the upper left corner!

Is there anyone who can help me? I have also tried to add OS onto a usb stick, but I do not get the machine to boot from USB.

I am desperate for help, would have been given this amazing machine up and running again.

In advance, thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I found Mac OSX 10.4.3 (torrent) which was the last version to my computer.

This is an illegal method to obtain OS 10.4. 10.4 was only distributed via CD or DVD.

If you need OS 10.4…buy via eBay.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Mac OS - Powerbook G4

Thanks for the reply.

The guy at Apple said i could DL it, if i found it. This because they don`t support it no longer.

But i will not use it. I can`t find the OS i need on eBay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
depending on where you are located at, I have a leopard dvd i can install on your powerbook for you if its specs allow it. other suggestion is to make an appointment with the apple store and see if they will reinstall it for you. I had a powerbook that the dvd drive didn't work and they reinstalled leopard for me at no charge

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on your Power Book G4? If it's a later Powerbook 10.5 Leopard will run on it. You can also find that on Ebay. You should be able to easily fine 10.4 Tiger on Ebay but BE SURE it's the Black DVD and not Gray. Gray disks are Machine specific. The Black one is a Full install for all machines.

Here is a Black DVD Full version of Tiger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-O...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item2c902ed999

Here is another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MACIN...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item2c90023b90

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The guy at Apple said i could DL it, if i found it. This because they don`t support it no longer.

This is not true. There are other OS version newer than 10.4 that Apple doesn't support (OS 10.5 and 10.6)…and these aren't legal to download either.

But i will not use it. I can`t find the OS i need on eBay!

You probably just need any version of 10.4. I hope that you're not looking for exactly 10.4.3.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.