Help! iMac down trying to upgrade to Yosmiete

Reaction score
So, weird situation. I was upgrading my iMac 2008 desktop to the new OSX 10 and it had to restart. The computer shut down and never restarted. I then tried to turn it on and it sat at the grey screen. I think the install never happened properly. I've tried to boot up in safe mode and also tried to fix the NVRAM, but it's not working. Another wrench to through in is that my monitor doesn't work. I've had an external monitor for the past year and have been using the 2nd monitor as my main display. I placed in the original startup disk to just do a new install, but it won't even get there. I think because I have a 2nd monitor plugged in, it won't show the actual monitor and what I need to do. Does anyone know how I switch monitors back and forth? I tried the usual Command and F1, but it's not working. At the moment, I can hear the computer starting from the disk drive, but I can't see anything happening.... Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Power off, remove the second monitor, unplug everything from mains for ten minutes or so. Boot up and see what happens. If only the grey screen again, try power down using the on/off button and restart. If you means the iMac monitor does not work, that may be the end of things for the iMac alas.

Keep us posted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.