HELP! how do i add/create users/groups in terminal?

Reaction score
running 10.9.5. just got my first macbook for work and was told to install this app. in the instructions it says run these 3 commands

/usr/sbin/groupadd --system username
/usr/sbin/useradd --system --gid username groupname
chown -R user:group /usr/local/foldername

i know mac doesn't have groupadd and useradd, but i've spent over 2 hours on google and i still cant figure it out. i've done tons of dscl dseditgroup cmds all with no luck. please help rewrite these 3 lines for me in mac unix!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Back to basics ..... what is it that you want to achieve ?
( Running these commands in Terminal is not what you want to achieve, it is only a means to an end )

What app. have you been given and what is it for.
What kind of app is that that it requires terminal commands to get installed. Can you elaborate a bit more please.

Honestly, If somebody would send me a set of unix commands and asks to run them in Terminal without knowing what they were for .... that person would be on my blacklist forever.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
U
Reaction score
Back to basics ..... what is it that you want to achieve ?
( Running these commands in Terminal is not what you want to achieve, it is only a means to an end )

What app. have you been given and what is it for.
What kind of app is that that it requires terminal commands to get installed. Can you elaborate a bit more please.

Honestly, If somebody would send me a set of unix commands and asks to run them in Terminal without knowing what they were for .... that person would be on my blacklist forever.

Cheers ... McBie
as i said, i just got my first macbook for work and was told to install this app. i don't want to disclose the app name as it's a private enterprise app. in the instructions it says run these 3 commands. why you ask? i don't know. i'm just following instructions. i will say though when i try to run the app without these 3 commands i do get an error permission denied. however, my current user does have r/w access so not sure why. either way, i'm just trying to follow directions here

it says 'Go back and change the folder permissions from user root to the newly created user'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It takes 2 hands to clap mate.
If you approach a public forum to help you out with a private enterprise app. then that does not make sense to me.
Does this private enterprise have an IT department that can help you out with their own ' private app '.

Maybe I am missing something.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
U
Reaction score
It takes 2 hands to clap mate.
If you approach a public forum to help you out with a private enterprise app. then that does not make sense to me.
Does this private enterprise have an IT department that can help you out with their own ' private app '.

Maybe I am missing something.

Cheers ... McBie
while i see your concern, why can't you just answer my question? (if you know it that is). me disclosing a bunch of information is irrelevant when i am just trying to translate 3 commands. its like me asking how do you say 'how are you?' in spanish and you asking why do i want to say 'how are you?' in spanish. it's irrelevant

Reaction score
IT is NOT irrelevant, we need to know WHY you need to run those commands and what you hope to accomplish by doing so.
Why does the app need to create a group and a user for that group? (some databases do this)
All his questions are relevant and if you cant or wont answer then we may not be able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.