Help! G4 FW800 won't boot

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac guy, so I might need my hand held and to be walked through any suggestions.

I am helping my sister sell her old G4 FW800 MDD with dual 1.42s. Last night she came over, got her files, then wiped and reinstalled 10.4 fresh onto it. Everything was fine.

I should have left well enough alone but that CPU fan noise was bugging me. I opened it up, unscrewed the heatsink, cleaned off the old gunk (didn't touch the CPUs) and applied some Arctic Silver 5.

Ever since then, it wouldn't boot. At first it would sound the startup chime, but no image would appear on screen. Eventually the system would turn off.

I then tried Cmd+Opt+P+R, but no luck. I also tried Ctrl+Alt+Shift, no effect.

After this it started booting up, no startup sound, fans kick into overdrive until I shut it off. This morning I located the PMU button, hit it and tried booting again, same thing.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Check that the heatsink is snug up against the cpu board. Sounds like it's overheating. Also check that the cpu hasn't popped out a bit when you removed the heatsink.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And write 1,000 times 'I must not dismantle my sister's Mac'.

OP
S
Reaction score
Check that the heatsink is snug up against the cpu board. Sounds like it's overheating. Also check that the cpu hasn't popped out a bit when you removed the heatsink.

I unscrewed and rescrewed the heatsink and made sure all five screws were tight. No change in behavior.

I really don't know how to get the dual CPUs out of their little daughterboard, if you can, nor do I know how to remove that board. It does wiggle in place a little bit, and if I push down it does bend down a bit, maybe it should be more snug to the logic board?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you change anything else on the system? I've seen this happen when I unplugged the slave drive and didn't change the jumpers on the master to cable select (varies by drive as well). This was on a Dual 867 MDD, so very similar to yours.

OP
S
Reaction score
Not at all, didn't touch any cables, jumpers or drives. The only thing I did before this began was unscrew the heatsink, apply AS5 and reattach the heatsink.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just popped back to my marketting dept where we still have a MDD dual machine, take a look at the heatsink and make sure everything matches up to yours (screws etc). This cpu has never been touched.
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo1.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I will compare after I get home tonight or tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cleaning off the original Arctic Silver is critical, and if the CPU's are loose, they should come off and be cleaned also. There is a commercial product advertised on eBay etc that is supposed to be pretty good for removing the sealant.

For what it is worth, for fan noise best to start at the front fan, near the front leg, and make sure it is spotlessly clean as dust and junk do build up there. Go through other fan units and it is possible to replace any failed units.

OP
S
Reaction score
Figured out how to unseat and reseat the daughtercard, cleaned the AS5 off the CPU cores and heatsink with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Reseated the daughtercard, reattached the heatsink, no change :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unplug the hard drive(s) and attempt to boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try taking out memory one chip at a time and booting each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm out of ideas. Hopefully there isn't any damage to the logic board or cpu. If I think of anything else I'll post back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. At another forum it's been suggested that I check the PSU voltages. I'll post back with any updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And after that only one suggestion. "Sis he killed it!"

OP
S
Reaction score
After a long and busy weekend, I finally had time to compare your photos to the G4 on my hands. I noticed I made a mistake when I remounted the heatsink.

In the last two photos, see the flap of metal bridging the I/O ports to the heatsink? Well I had remounted the heatsink such that the flap was under the lip of the heatsink and not over.

I remounted it correctly and fired it up, but no change in behavior. I unmounted the heatsink again to make sure the CPU card was mounted correctly. I remounted that and the heatsink, and tried again. This time it turned off after a few seconds. Tried again, same thing and I began to smell smoke :(

Upon inspection it appears I chipped the corner of one core when remounting the heatsink the right way. Needless to say I am the high bidder on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well fingers crossed for you and back to the blackboard "I must not ....................."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.