Help deciding between MacBook models!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope this post is in the correct place.

After almost 5.5 years with my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro, I'm finally looking to upgrade; however, I'm not sure what I should be upgrading to, and I am hoping you can help.

I have narrowed it down to 4 options:
  • Late-2013 13", 2.4 GHz dual i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,091.55
  • Mid-2014 13", 2.6 GHz dual i5, 16GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,472.45
  • Late-2013 15", 2.0 GHz quad i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,424.05
  • Mid-2014 15", 2.2 GHz quad i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,650.93

The prices listed are what I have found to be the best for each model (from Apple, MacMall, BestBuy, B&H, etc.), and include all taxes/cashback/coupons/etc.

As for what I use it for, I'd say I'm a pretty standard user. I use it to check email, prepare documents, listen to music, browse the internet, watch YouTube/Netflix, etc. I occasionally use it to create movies in iMovie, as well as perform the odd Photoshop job here and there.

I have done plenty of research on how much RAM is needed, and I understand that the switch from HDD to Flash will be much more significant than a bump from 4GB RAM (my current) to 8 or 16 GB. However, I will use this computer as a "desktop" as well, and would like to keep it for the next 4 years or so, so I am wondering if I should go with the 16GB to future-proof it.

Also, I am not sure whether I want to stay with the 13" or go up to 15". Compared to my current MacBook, the 15" really doesn't seem much bulkier. But I am wondering whether the money spent on the extra screen space would be better spent on more RAM for the 13".

If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would go for the Mid-2014 model.
Always get the latest model if you have the choice.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First thing you need to do is decide 13" or 15" display. If you do this…you've then already narrowed the choices by 50%. And only you can make this decision (personal thing).

But as McBie mentioned…the mid-2014 15" model does look like a pretty good deal/value.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow, I apologize. I thought I proofread my post, but I just realized I had some prices in the wrong order and mislabeled. Please see the edited initial post for the *correct* info. Thanks guys!

First thing you need to do is decide 13" or 15" display. If you do this…you've then already narrowed the choices by 50%. And only you can make this decision (personal thing).

But as McBie mentioned…the mid-2014 15" model does look like a pretty good deal/value.:)

- Nick

Yes, making that decision has been the hardest part. :p I feel like the 15" would be nice, but I don't know if it's nice enough to justify the additional cost. And if I were to spend the extra money, would it be better spent toward a 13" with more RAM?

Now that I've fixed my pricing errors, would you still recommend the mid-2014 15"? Thanks for your feedback, Nick!

I would go for the Mid-2014 model.
Always get the latest model if you have the choice.

Cheers ... McBie

Thanks for the feedback, McBie!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The prices make a lot more sense now!!!;)

The deal between the 13" and 15" display (for most folks). Folks want a lighter/smaller laptop for traveling (13")…but still like the 15" display area when using the computer.

The "sweet spot" is (if someone REALLY doesn't need the 15" display when at the library, airport, coffee shop etc.)…just nice to have the 15" when working at the office or home. Is to get the 13" for ease of portability…then attach a nice sized external monitor to the computer when at home (at a desktop) or at work. So this could be rational to get the 13".

By the way…are the specs correct for the mid-2014 15"? I can't find a 2.0ghz quad-core model. There is a "Late 2013" 15" that is a 2.0ghz…but not a "Mid-2014".

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "sweet spot" is (if someone REALLY doesn't need the 15" display when at the library, airport, coffee shop etc.)…just nice to have the 15" when working at the office or home. Is to get the 13" for ease of portability…then attach a nice sized external monitor to the computer when at home (at a desktop) or at work. So this could be rational to get the 13".

Hey Nick....

When are we going to see a 27" Retina Thunderbolt display? We have a 27" Retina iMac, so a new Thunderbolt display with a Retina screen can't be too far behind I would think?

OP
R
Reaction score
By the way…are the specs correct for the mid-2014 15"? I can't find a 2.0ghz quad-core model. There is a "Late 2013" 15" that is a 2.0ghz…but not a "Mid-2014".

^^That was again thanks to my error - I had it mixed up with the late-2013 one. Thanks for pointing it out!

Yeah, I've thought about the external screen as well. I'm just a bit weird in that I typically use my computer on a couch, in my bed, or on some other random surface throughout the house... very rarely am I actually at my desk. :p

I know that that's just a decision I have to make for myself, though. I guess my main question(s) is would you suggest eliminating any of the options based solely on cost/benefit? E.g. if I did decide on a 13", is paying an extra $380 for an extra 8GB of RAM and .2GHz of processing ridiculously unreasonable?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When are we going to see a 27" Retina Thunderbolt display? We have a 27" Retina iMac, so a new Thunderbolt display with a Retina screen can't be too far behind I would think?

I'm with ya!:) Apple would/should use the same 27" retina display panel in an external/Thunderbolt display as the 27" retina iMac. This would probably get the manufacturing volume number up enough to help reduce the cost of the display panels (more made + more sold = lower cost to manufacture).

I guess I'm thinking how Apple would go about pricing it. I'm thinking when the cost of the 27" display panels get low enough…a 27" "retina/Thunderbolt" display would be $999…and reduce the current 27" Thunderbolt display to $799.

I think that the $999 is a "magic number" for Apple for an external display (27" external retina display). If it was over $1000…kind of a whole different ballgame…either realistically or psychologically for consumers.

The current 27" IPS display panels have been around for a while now (Apple and others probably using them)… costs should be lower for them compared to 2-3 years ago. So I think $799 would be a fair price for a 27" non-retina external display…and $999 for the retina 27" display.:)

Maybe Apple needs to see some good sales numbers for the 27" retina iMac first…then jump into a 27" external retina display. It's been a while since the external 27" monitor was updated…an external 27" retina display would be nice update!:)

Who know's when though. How about a prediction of 1 year from now??;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^That was again thanks to my error - I had it mixed up with the late-2013 one. Thanks for pointing it out!

Ok again…good deal.:) The reason why I was asking was…I wanted to be sure none of the 15" models you were looking at had "dedicated graphics" (separate graphics hardware) for better graphics performance. Neither of the 15" models listed have dedicated graphics (both have integrated graphics).

So what this basically means is…inside the 15" models are really not too much different than the 13" models…except for the dual vs. quad core part.

So if you really like the 15" display…this plus the fact that the 15" models have a quad-core cpu…are two great reasons to get one of the 15" models.

I'm just a bit weird in that I typically use my computer on a couch, in my bed, or on some other random surface throughout the house... very rarely am I actually at my desk. :p

Makes sense…I'm the same way. I actually have a 17" MBP that I use this way sometimes.:)

I know that that's just a decision I have to make for myself, though. I guess my main question(s) is would you suggest eliminating any of the options based solely on cost/benefit? E.g. if I did decide on a 13", is paying an extra $380 for an extra 8GB of RAM and .2GHz of processing ridiculously unreasonable?

If you really like the 15" display (more screen real-estate)…then this is a BIG need. You're always looking at the display. So if you like a bigger display..then the 15" is the way to go. Plus you get the quad-core.

Definitely don't go with less than 8gig of ram. And remember the ram cannot be upgraded after purchase. So if you feel better with 16gig of ram…get it.

256gig of flash storage seems like a good place to be.

- Nick

C

chas_m

For future-proofing purposes, I would suggest getting the 16GB RAM. To me, 256GB is way too little, but not everyone has my needs -- and the Thunderbolt and USB3 options on the MBP make it easy to add external storage for media libraries and such.

OP
R
Reaction score
And of course, as I finally make my decision and go to purchase the computer, it turns out that it was a sale that has since ended. Ugh. I guess I've learned my lesson about indecisiveness. -.-

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And of course, as I finally make my decision and go to purchase the computer, it turns out that it was a sale that has since ended. Ugh. I guess I've learned my lesson about indecisiveness. -.-

Who had it on sale...and how much was knocked off the price? Generally speaking...Apple computers don't go on sale...and when they do...you generally don't save much (usually no more than $50-$100). Which really isn't much of a savings overall (from a % off standpoint).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.