Help...computer dummy re zip file

Reaction score
I have a mac book pro and am somewhat new to computers. I downloaded a BURN program from sourcforge.net that came in a zip file and opened the file. There is an file icon for the program on the desktop, but I can't see how to open and use the program. What do I do? Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Generally click/double click on the file...sometimes it will open another file that will self extract and install. They have different file extensions but from what I have seen the newer ones are dmg extensions. Sometimes it will open a window and you will have to drag the file to applications for it to install (usually show the file and an arrow and applications folder...drag to that folder), either in that window or via opening finder....I am new also so don't feel too bad.

Hope that helps...as I say I'm new also.

p.s. I forgot to add...please use the search function on the forum before asking questions. Often you will get the answer there as someone will have asked at sometime.

OP
G
Reaction score
zip file

thanks for response. I've done all you suggested. The actual program will not come up, only instructions. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi groovyroovy & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Can you post a screenshot for us to see exactly what's on your Desktop?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
what is the name of the file you downloaded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
7.4 meg zip file...downloaded easily. Created its own folder called burn.

Opened the folder...5 files....one called burn. Double clicked it and it opened as per normal puttong red circle burn icon onto task bar at bottom and opened program......where is the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
7.4 meg zip file...downloaded easily. Created its own folder called burn.

Opened the folder...5 files....one called burn. Double clicked it and it opened as per normal puttong red circle burn icon onto task bar at bottom and opened program......where is the problem?

Hmm wonder if I've got a problem with my internet connection - the download has only just finished for me (on 'up-to' 8Mb connection). Anyway I think you've done the job nicely. I hope this helps you out Groovyroovy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit Maddog beat me to it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.