• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help - Be My Conscience

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Nope. No such law exists and nobody can force them to support something.
A company can cease support on whatever they like, whenever they like.
Even warranties have the "escape clause" that says something to the tune of 'we can change this whenever we want...blah, blah, blah'.

Good to know.
Just because they aren't required doesn't mean they will stop making replacement parts. I went to a Honda dealership to have my 12 yr old car looked at. They still had everything I needed to get it working properly.
It would make me more likely to shop somewhere if I knew I could get something I needed no matter how obscure it is, whether it be a headlight or a set of bed sheets. There is just a level of security that is needed for me when I purchase something, which is why almost anything comes with a warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can argue the point if you want, but in the end, you are at your own risk if you decide to purchase something that isn't standard.

There are no laws protecting you and your have no "right" to be supported.

M

MacHeadCase

The Apple II is 20 years old. If Apple discontinued the Mini today, they still are required to support it. I thought that there was some sort of law forcing companies to support their products for a certain period. I am not talking about a warranty.
If I bought a new Honda and I broke a tail light I should have the ability to by a replacement are 2 years after I buy even if the model is no longer made.
Ikea could discontinue making the bed after I would purchase it. I should still have the ability to buy sheets or a new topper six months later. Any company that doesn't offer any support within a reasonable time once a product is discontinued is shady.

Well Ikea still sells the Billy bookcase and shelves units and I first saw those in 1982 when I started buying myself real furniture. I'm sure Ikea is keeping stats on what is popular and what has run its time. Like schweb says, nothing lasts forever. Does Sears still sell the exact same fridges they sold 25 years ago? Does Ford still make the same cars they made 12 years ago? Engines for cars even change...

Things move on. Going non-standard only makes it easier to run out of possibilities.

If you buy a Queen or King sized bed at Ikea, no matter if they stop making the frame next week, you can get sheets and covers for those any old store you chose.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Well Ikea still sells the Billy bookcase and shelves units and I first saw those in 1982 when I started buying myself real furniture. I'm sure Ikea is keeping stats on what is popular and what has run its time. Like schweb says, nothing lasts forever. Does Sears still sell the exact same fridges they sold 25 years ago? Does Ford still make the same cars they made 12 years ago? Engines for cars even change...

Things move on. Going non-standard only makes it easier to run out of possibilities.

If you buy a Queen or King sized bed at Ikea, no matter if they stop making the frame next week, you can get sheets and covers for those any old store you chose.
Ikea still sells the Billy book shelfs as MacHeadCase stated, but what I found is that they changed the colors or time.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can argue the point if you want, but in the end, you are at your own risk if you decide to purchase something that isn't standard.

There are no laws protecting you and your have no "right" to be supported.

Understood. I guess my previous posts weren't clear enough.

Well Ikea still sells the Billy bookcase and shelves units and I first saw those in 1982 when I started buying myself real furniture.

haha, in 1982 you were buying funiture and I was still in the womb. Not to make you sound old... Sorry.

Well, the more I've been reading all your points (which are all valid) about why I shouldn't get it, the more I've been thinking I should. A queen size bed is too large for a cramped apartment. Having something I convert to set of chairs for guests is a plus. I also read the eBay is a great place to get round sheets. With the WWW at my disposal, sheets can't be too hard to find. Or, I can go the old fashioned method and make my own. I made a pair of boxer shorts / PJ shorts when I was in 7th grade (I was 13 or something.) They lasted me till I was 20. Can't say I've owned a pair of store bought clothes lasting that long.

If anything else, I can turn it into a lounger or something in a few years. Or I could walk into Ikea this weekend, remember all of what has been mentioned and walk out with a $180 frame.

Again, thanks everyone for your responses! +Rep!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you are concerned about having extra seating, there are also day beds. I think some of them are even in larger sizes (queen, king).
Even if there aren't, it isn't that difficult to make one yourself.
:)

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a futon now. Converting it to a couch takes 10 seconds literally. But that's how it broke in the first place.
I wouldn't have a problem building something but I'd have to also buy all the tools or have my dad watch over my shoulder at his house using his tools. He's still afraid I might take out an eye if I am using an exacto knife.

If it all blows up in my face, I will personally drive to each of your houses so you can say "told you so" and kick my butt on the way out.

I think nowthat I am young and that I have some money, I should spend it on something fun before I get married and it's all going to a car and a mortgage.

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*
haha, in 1982 you were buying funiture and I was still in the womb. Not to make you sound old... Sorry.

*Snip*

Somehow you did just that, kiddo. ;D

Oh and btw I should add that when I said real furniture, I meant no more hand-me-downs 'cuz I had already had a few apartments at that time, in '82.

There. Now you can say I'm even older than you thought at first. ;)

But I do like Ikea. Ikea rocks. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Nope. No such law exists and nobody can force them to support something.
A company can cease support on whatever they like, whenever they like.
Even warranties have the "escape clause" that says something to the tune of 'we can change this whenever we want...blah, blah, blah'.

This law exists for motorcycles. They are required to make parts for 7 years I believe it is.

Also, please don't take offense to this, but she is your girlfriend. She could be gone tomorrow and you'll be stuck with a stupid round bed that other girls will make fun of you for if you bring them over. :)

Save your money.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Memory foam mattresses (Tempur) are really good. I dunno how much they cost in the US but here they are outrageously priced.
They are terribly expensive here too. I borrowed on last year while I had back troubles. I gave it back agter a while. I do use one of their pillows however
IMHO a round bed is just a novelty and as MacHeadCase says special shape will give special prices for bed linen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This law exists for motorcycles. They are required to make parts for 7 years I believe it is.

Do you have a link to the law? I have never heard of such a thing.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's super comfortable and it cost a little less than the round bed.
Thanks for all of your imput.

photo-3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Do you have a link to the law? I have never heard of such a thing.

I don't have a link. I'll have to look and see if any of the cycle forums I belong to have it. The reason I know is because I have a cycle from 1993 and when I went looking for parts I found this out.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz C2D
Nice bed, Bry. :D

I assume that's the cat that's in the Mac Plus in your avatar?

Does your cat take up most of the bed like our Nissa does?

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice bed, Bry. :D

I assume that's the cat that's in the Mac Plus in your avatar?

Does your cat take up most of the bed like our Nissa does?

Same cat. I can only handle one pet at a time.
He's pretty good about not sleeping on the bed. I toss and turn a lot and I think he has caught on. He has started sleeping on the edge of the bed so he's pretty good about his sense of space.
He's got his own blueberry iMac to sleep in and a old blanket of mine. He's pretty spoiled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Same cat. I can only handle one pet at a time.
He's pretty good about not sleeping on the bed. I toss and turn a lot and I think he has caught on. He has started sleeping on the edge of the bed so he's pretty good about his sense of space.
He's got his own blueberry iMac to sleep in and a old blanket of mine. He's pretty spoiled.

That is crazy cute. I wish my little Fidel had an iMac to sleep on...

Oh, I like how your bed is right next to the kitchen. Sooo convenient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.