Help and advice

Reaction score
Hi

I apologize in advance if this thread has been discussed a million times.
Buying my first mac need advice plz its between a mac book pro and a mac book

1.I want to reocrd music on it either thru garage band or/and pro tools
2. I want to use office products
3. I want to surf web
4. I want it last a good few yrs

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
The major difference between the two is the graphics, and it sounds like you won't be doing anything too graphics intensive. The Macbook has Intel integrated graphics that share system RAM whereas the MBP has a Radeon X1600 with either 128 or 256 of dedicated graphics RAM. Another factor is the smaller 13.3" screen on the Macbook as opposed to the 15.4" and 17" on the MBP in addition to the obvious differences in enclosures and keyboards. I have a MBP and there are some things I like about the Macbook more like the magnetic lid and durable enclosure, but I really like the larger screen, backlight keyboard, and upgraded graphics; it makes playtime quite enjoyable :) Otherwise, I would say try out both at a store or if you have a few buds that have them, ask to check them out. If you go the Macbook route, I would highly recommend upgrading the RAM to 2GB since using high end audio programs can really eat RAM in a hurry, but bear in mind the MBP comes standard with 2GB now (I don't think you would need to upgrade to 3GB, especially since it is quite expensive right now and you can always upgrade later when the price goes down and, of course, if you need it if you decide to run Parallels along with large apps at the same time or something of that nature). Try out both if you can and if one feels right, it probably is the right one (and if it fits your budget!). Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I agree with pretty much everything Voided 3 mentioned, except he's wrong about standard RAM. I'm looking at the site now and the base MBP still only has 1GB of RAM.

I recommend the MBP for it's bigger screen and power. Plus it'll probably have more staying power than the MB. On the other hand, you could take that money saved and put it away for a future computer purchase. I would wait until June just to see if anything new comes out at WWDC. I personally think the laptop line could use some upgrades across the board and it's possible some could be given in June.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.