Hello, I'm new here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
I tried to install Onyx, think I have but I can't find it! The Malwarebytes is it expensive to buy?

Frank.

M

MacInWin

Malwarebytes is free, for all that you need. The paid version will run constantly, which you do NOT need. Just download it and ignore the requests for payment, after a month it will revert to the run-when-you-want-to mode and the nagging will cease.

Onyx is not available for High Sierra, if you are running it. Otherwise, go to the developer site: titanium.free.fr and get the proper version for your version of the OS. When you try to run the installer, Apple's Gatekeeper will complain that it didn't come from Apple, press on anyway and install it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bookmarking sites in Safari

If you are like me and open multiple tabs in a single window choosing the "Add bookmarks for these tabs option will create a bookmark folders with all sites in those tabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Hello docx,

I appreciate the need to keep software up to date. I've only had my Mac a few days, and it came with what I've got. So my machine is fresh. In any case, I wouldn't know how to do the upgrade. I never did it on a PC.

Frank.
Im guessing that you have OS sierra installed if so it's probably best to wait a few weeks before you upgrade.
When you're ready make sure you have a backup of all your data before upgrading.
Just go to the App Store and look for mac OS High Sierra.
If you need more detailed instructions just post here when your ready.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I tried to install Onyx, think I have but I can't find it!

You don't need to run it yet with such a new setup but it will be in Finder > Applications. Double click to operate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hello nickyr , so I have to uninstall McAfee.

The extensions in Safari, do I find them and turn them on?

So I need to get Malwarebytes and Onyx?

Thanks for the advice.

Frank.

McAfee. You don't have to uninstall it, but it's a piece of software that's of no use to you and may slow your Mac down. Instructions here if you wan to go ahead: https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...&showHeader=false&_adf.ctrl-state=9dmtq3ou3_4

Extensions. If you go to the Safari menu bar at the top of your screen and click on Safari and then Safari extensions, this will take you to a browser where you can download a number of useful extensions. After you've installed them, goto Safari, Preferences, Extensions. Your downloaded extensions should be here and already switched on. If not then turn them on.

Onyx. If you installed it it'll be in your Applications folder. After installing you'll see a DMG file in your downloads. You can delete this.

You're getting a lot of advice at the moment which may seem a little daunting. But stick with it, use your Mac and enjoy it.

Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello Slydude, I don't open to many tabs, I may get lost! Thank you for your link.

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello friends, thank you for your replies and thank you for your patience. Let me explain the position I'm in; I'm not even clever enough to know how to use my Doro smartphone! When I had my PC running, I just did boring repetitive stuff with it. I bought my Mac because I believe my PC was compromised. I pray that I'll be safe on this machine.

On my bottom list of icons, I have Microsoft Excel showing and I don't know how to get rid of it. Next to it is the download button, which shows a bunch of of stuff that have been downloaded. Do I just ignore that stuff?

I'm finding it difficult to live with the right button clicker.

Also how do I find stuff on my Mac. I went to my bank statements, to download a copy for my accountant. I downloaded it somewhere but I can't find it. Then I figured out how to print out what I needed from the bank website.

Also, I'm sorry, is it really necessary for me to have High Sierra, when I don't have a clue, how to use what I've already got! :D

Frank.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm finding it difficult to live with the right button clicker.

You can change this if you want so that you only have "Click" and "Control Click" (meaning you hold down the Control key whilst clicking). If you do this:

"Any Click" always = Left Click and "Control Click always = Right Click.

Method: Click on Apple Icon top left Menu Bar. From drop down, choose System Preferences.

Within System Preferences, click on Mouse (second row), then click on "Point and Click". You will see 3 options on the left.

Checking the box "Secondary Click" means that you have Right & Left Click on your Mouse.

Unchecking the box means you have "Click" and "Control Click" as mentioned above. Your choice.

I downloaded it somewhere but I can't find it.

All downloads from wherever, by default, go into your "Downloads Folder". This is found by opening Finder and you will see "Downloads" on the left. Click to open the Folder.

is it really necessary for me to have High Sierra

Absolutely NOT. Forget about it till you are comfortable with all aspects of using your Mac. Feature-wise, there is little difference; user-wise, a lot. Get used to Sierra before contemplating moving on.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Ian is generally correct, but sometimes downloads don't go into the Downloads folder. You have to look at the prompt for the download to see where it is proposing to put it each time. Generally, if you don't get a prompt, it goes into Downloads. The row of icons along the bottom of the screen are the Dock. Some things are in the Dock even if the application isn't running. But running programs have an icon there so that you can switch to them easily. Running icons have a little dot below them to indicate the application is running. If you don't want Excel there, just drag the icon away from the dock and eventually it will change to say "remove" and you can then drop it and it will go away. That action does not delete the application, just the icon on the Dock.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Ian, thank you so much for your advice. I'm getting old and grey - I meant to say I can't live without the right clicker, thank you for your help.

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Jake, thank you for reply. I'll try to digest all this new information.

Frank.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.