Health app tracking cycling distance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi there.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 and thought I might start using the Health app in iOS 8 but I'm not too sure how it works.

I use Nike+ for my runs and I can see my Steps and the Walking + Running Distance in the Health app but my Cycling Distance is showing nothing and I have gone for a bike 15 minute ride (active calories isn't showing anything either).

Do I need to install a specific cycling application that works with the Health app for the data to be sent across or should it just show up in the Health app?

If I need a specific app is there an application people would recommend?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The health app, aside from tracking steps, is nothing more than a display tool. It does a nice job collating data but it needs other apps to do the legwork of actually collecting it.

I'd recommend Strava. I use it here religiously for both running and cycling. It's clean, it's easy and it syncs nicely with the Health app.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
The health app, aside from tracking steps, is nothing more than a display tool. It does a nice job collating data but it needs other apps to do the legwork of actually collecting it.

I'd recommend Strava. I use it here religiously for both running and cycling. It's clean, it's easy and it syncs nicely with the Health app.

Thanks. I've signed up to Strava and linked it with the Health app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.