Headset Recommendations

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have had two different Bluetooth headsets fail recently. The earpieces have disintegrated. I could get replacement earpieces, but neither pair is worth the time/trouble. I've got one set that I may repair if I can figure out which replacement earpads I need. In the meantime, suggestions for a replacement headset are welcome.

My criteria for replacement headsets are;
1. Wireless - preferably Bluetooth rather than 2.4 GHz dongles.
2. Primary use will be for music.
3. A good mic
4. Reasonably comfortable for 2 - 3 hours of wear.

I'm currently looking at the Arctis 9, but I'm open to other suggestions.

SWMBO and I agree that the Apple wireless headset is out of the question.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I highly recommend the Anker Soundcore series of headphones. They are BT and have about 40 hours of playback time. I got the Q20's first and could wear them all day without any discomfort as I listened to music and worked. After about a year or so one of the ear pads began had issues, I notified Anker and was sent a set of replacement pads for free. The replacement pads didn't feel as comfortable as the original.

I then opted to upgrade to newer Q35's which are just as good but have better noise canceling and just as good on everything else.

Since I wear these headphones all day, comfort was my absolute first priority and these hit it out of the park.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the recommendation. I remember seeing something last night about one of the Soundcore headsets being well-liked. I'll be sure to check those out. I am assuming, of course, that SWMBO hasn't ordered the Arctis 9 set that I linked to earlier.

Several people I know have used other Anker gear and have been pleased with the build quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I also liked the sound I got from Anker. I had the Soundcore Liberty Air 2 ear buds, until I lost one.

Now I have the Belkin SOUNDFORM Freedom True Wireless Earbuds. They don't sound as good though.

I got these mostly because they can be used with the Find My app.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally settled on the Soundcore Q35 headset, which was supposed to arrive Wednesday, but that got pushed to yesterday and now (hopefully) today.

After my initial post, I looked at the list of devices that have been previously connected to my phone and realized I'd used Soundcore gear before. In my case, it was the Liberty Neo series which I liked but also needed an over-the-ear option for some things.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I looked around to see if the price for that Soundcore Q35 headset varied. It seems the price $129.99 is pretty well fixed by everyone who sells it.

I guess this year with the shortage of goods, no one is coming down with their price after Christmas as has been over the past years.

I can hardly wait to see the price Apple will be charging for their new 27" M1X iMac in 2022. o_O :sd

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Charlie. That's the best price I saw as well. Usually, right after I buy some piece of tech, someone finds it cheaper.

Mine arrived a bit ago, and I've had them on for a few minutes. I think the fit is going to be very comfortable. They are much lighter than SWMBO's Arctis 7 Series -- probably because the headband appears to be plastic, whereas the Arctis 7 has a metal headband and foam earpieces reminiscent of a pair that I used some time in the '80s.

Later tonight, I will try them by wire and see how they handle the Apple Lossless music format.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, keep us posted. I still have a cheap pair of headphones that I occasionally use but like other cheap headphones they can't be worn for very long.

And, I can't stand earbuds. My wife love them and I don't understand how she can wear them all day.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And, I can't stand earbuds. My wife love them and I don't understand how she can wear them all day.
I'm with you on that one but I do live their convenience. And, having moved somewhere that is perpetually hot, over ear headphones aren't particularly comfortable. But are they comfortable for extended listening? Not at all so I'm with you on that one!

I do need a good pair of over ear headphones for extended meetings online and teaching so do report back with a mini review. :)

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried a few different sets of earbuds in the last few years. One pair was so cheap that they fell apart after very few uses. I like the Soundcore Liberty earbuds and probably still have them somewhere; My problem was that they didn't quite fit well enough and fell out a bit more often than I like.

I bought the Apple earbuds a few months ago and liked them a lot. They fit better than most earbuds I've tried and are quickly becoming my go-to listening devices, but I still use over-the -ear headsets for some tasks when sitting at my desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
I've used an over the ear KlipishBT Imagine One for years. Still going strong and sound is very good. Recently purchased a set of EarPods, Beat Fit Pro. Love the set up and charging. They fit super with hardly any adjustment needed during physical activity. Sound is great although bass is not what the earphones provide.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My problem was that they didn't quite fit well enough and fell out a bit more often than I like.
This has been my biggest problem with EarPod like earbuds that don't have rubber tips that are flexible. That may be because I have odd shaped ear canals but for some reason, they drop out of my ear as soon as I move.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what made me wait so long to try the Apple earbuds. I was afraid to buy something ing that might not fit. Fortunately for me the Apple earbuds fit quite nicely; Unlike the set that has rigid plastic earpieces.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.