Headphone Socket Dramas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
I fear that my headphone socket may be knackered (G4 PB 12" 1.5Ghz) - whenever I uses ANY headphones or audio leads that are not iPod headphones, the connection is quite dodgy.

With some cables, they work for a while, and then if they get knocked the sound reverts to the internal laptop speakers even though there's a cable plugged in. The same goes for the pair of Sony headphones I've got.

Any thoughts? Is this a common complaint with the PB series?

I'm reluctant to take it to KRCS (CROOKS!) in Leics, as they'll charge me £45 just to switch the machine on. :bomb:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sockets that use friction to keep the cord in place will wear over time and eventually not hold the connection in a stable manner. The wear is increased significantly if the cord is yanked upon or struck at an opposing angle frequently.

Unfortunately the connector is typically soldered directly to the system board, so unless you take it to a shop that has a good tech with soldering skills, the only way to repair it is to change the system board (which is typically very expensive).

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
I've had a play, and I think it's just something to do with the brand of cable that I'm using. Ne'er mind! Gonna sell the machine soon anyway...get me a MBP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.