HDMI connection to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Lately when I connect my MBA to my TV with my HDMI cable, the screen image of my MBA will not show up on the TV. This never happened before, only the past 2 days, and I didn't change or upgrade anything. Only when I restart my MBA, my MBA screen is mirrored on my TV.

But....I get this attached multilingual warning on my screen. My Mac didn't restart ''because of a problem'. I was the one that restarted it.
Then, after restart and all works fine, I get a message if I want to report the problem. I click OK and then get the usual message on my screen to report it, but instead of seeing that long list of what went wrong, the space where is usually listed what happened is empty.

It's not a HDMI cable problem, because it works fine when connecting it to my external monitor.

So,
Why I cannot get my screen image on my TV right away, unless I restart?
Why this multilingual message?
Why this empty report of the problem/restart?

Thanks
Robert
Sonoma 14.4.1

Attachments

• MBA restart.jpg
    MBA restart.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What Mac? How are you restarting the Mac? (power off first, shut down first, just use the menu to restart?)

It sounds like there is something causing the Mac to see the failure of the TV connection as a "problem" and then when you restart, instead of a clean start, it throws up the message because the last thing it "saw" was the problem. That's just a guess.

Has this process worked in the past? Are you following the exact same steps, in the exact same sequence? Is the TV a smart TV and has its own software been updateded by the vendor?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
What Mac? How are you restarting the Mac? (power off first, shut down first, just use the menu to restart?)

It sounds like there is something causing the Mac to see the failure of the TV connection as a "problem" and then when you restart, instead of a clean start, it throws up the message because the last thing it "saw" was the problem. That's just a guess.

Has this process worked in the past? Are you following the exact same steps, in the exact same sequence? Is the TV a smart TV and has its own software been updateded by the vendor?
Hi Jake,
MacBook Air 13" 2020 . I restart from the menu.
It has always worked fine until a few days ago. It's a smart TV. Never had this problem. I never changed any settings. All software is up-to-date, also on the TV. It is strange. Also that the message you get when something goes wrong and pops up to report the problem, is completely empty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.