HDD upgrade on iMac 21 1/2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Once again I think i have seen this elsewhere, but can't find it?

I intend to change the internal HDD in my early 2010 iMac 21 1/2. I want to put a 1Tb disk in.

Firstly, what kit will I need to open it and secondly what is the best and most reliable drive I can get? I would love to go to SSD, but on my pension :(:( too many pennies, or centimes here..

Edit : - Just a thought?? Is there a 1Tb hybrid that will operate with my machine and not need a mortgage ??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta for the gen, but why oh why just for once can't life be simple, like me???

I will germinate my brain cell on this for a moment and try to get some lpgic/sense out of it. Don't worry though, I won't hold my breath whilst doing so :'(:'(:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it is worth, it is not something I would be undertaking. Have replaced CPUs and fan units in Mac Pros, flashed PC gfx cards, upgraded BIOS in Dell latitudes, but opening an iMac is not something I am going to even attempt. Have a look around France for a Mac dealer and see what it is worth.

A Mac dealer Down Under has quoted me $110.00 labour and the cost of the selected SSD. Just gotta get around to nthe 300klm each way trip.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Fair dinkum Harry.;) If we are talking about the newer iMacs with the display glass that is held in with adhesive strips. MUCH harder to access than the slightly older (2009-2011) iMac's with the display glass that is held in magnetically & needing the suction cups to "pop" it off.

I would probably still give it a try;)…but I would probably be pretty darn nervous the first time doing it.

- Nick

C

chas_m

The website iFixit.com will also have detailed instructions, any special tool requirements, lots of photos or videos, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh you adventurous Yanks. The $110 route will be my way.

Keep us posted John particularly if you do it yourself.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now wait impatiently for the 2 terror byte (not a smelling mastike!) SSHD to arrive! I thought sod it and went for broke. I also remembered that somewhere along the line I finished up with 2 suction cup windscreen mounts for my TomTom and would you believe that they are good enough to take the magnetic held glass off the front of the iMac :D:D

As I have said before, I spent 18 years working for a small American computer company that you may have heard of? IBM. I was a hardware service eng on mainframes, so I am not worried about this job. If I can hit it with a hammer I can usually fix it. Ot's the fizzy stuff called software that screws me up :\:\:\

I'll let you know the result.

One of my next jobs may well be to upgrade my neighbours MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard to Mavericks? She's a uni student and part of the excitement will be that she is French and so is the MBP !! AZERTY keyboards are a nightmare!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As I have said before, I spent 18 years working for a small American computer company that you may have heard of? IBM. I was a hardware service eng on mainframes, so I am not worried about this job. If I can hit it with a hammer I can usually fix it. Ot's the fizzy stuff called software that screws me up

Yeah, but a 360/50 is a bigger target to hit with a hammer! I used to love when those pneumatic tape drives would go whacky. Tape everywhere.... LOL. Those were the good old days. Bring back Big Iron! ;P

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did see the very last of the 360s and repaired a load of teroidal core storege too, but it was 370, 3030 series, Sys 36, 38 and AS400 and at least you could hit them with a hammer. As long as it was classified as a calibrated knockometer :Smirk::Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The AS400 was the last system I worked with before retiring from government service and at the time they were just starting to be phased out and replaced with IBM desktops. The start of a new age. ;)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Long live twinax and all who try to fix them!!!

The big thing about systems like that is that it was almost impossible to HACK!!!

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SSHD arrived today and I got out all of my kit, 7 lb calibrated knockometer, Molegrips, etc. and set about taking the iMac to bits.

The glass came off really easily with the TomTom windscreen suction cup mounts, the 8 torx screws were no problem and the 4 screen plugs were disconnected, no problem. The old HDD was removed and the new SSHD fitted, but when I can to fit the temprature sense plug into the new jobby it wouldn't fit. The old HDD has a 4 pin socket in a 2 X 2 formation and the cable to conect had the 2 X 2 plug with just the upper 2 used. So 4 into 2 don't go whichever way you look at it. The cable is only a twin cable, so I decided to get out my trusty scalpel and cut the unwanted 1/2 off of the plastic plug, then it fitted perfectly. I worked on the principle that 2 into 4 goes, but not the other way around.

The new SSHD fitted, connected and the 4 screen to gubbins cables reconnected ant the screen put back. It's quite fun when you come to refit the screws that hold the screen onto the main housing, because everytime you try to get them past the magnets that hold the front glass in place they were far stronger than the magnet on the tool I was useing to fit them. Some crafty assistance from a pair of fine nosed pliers eventually got them into place and that was probly what took most of the change time!

Loaded Mavericks from the USB key I had kept from the original upgrade from Snow Leopard and reloaded the aplications and data from the Mavericks Time Machine backup I did before going to Yosemite and now it's back to where I was before.

The only problem I had was that when I tried to use the buttons on my Wacoms bluetooth tablet pen they didn't operate. So I downloaded and installed the Bamboo tablet drivers and nw it only operates as a bloody mouse, but the buttons work.

Why oh why can't things just be simple like me!!:[:[

Working on the principle that tomorrow never comes, I'll look at it tomorrow :Cool:

The basics of it is that it ain't rocket science to change an HDD on an iMac, especially if it's got the glass held on with magnets!!

110 Aussie$$? That = about 18 bottles of good wine here Harry! What a waste :Mischievous::Mischievous:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it sounds like the "IBM Mechanic" tamed "Little Iron". ;) By the way, you could have left the heat sensor cable disconnected as it's not needed for a SSD. Nice job. And you really don't want to drink Aussie wine, California red or white is the best! (Except if you live in France) ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not wasted as I am a teetotaller and by the sound of your job it may be just as well if I am to attempt it. No sign of the Jumbo Jet as yet from the doctored fans?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
French wine

It's **** when you live in the largest vineyard in the world, because there is so much to choose from. The Languadoc, where I live, used to be quantity not quality, but about 50 years back the vintners started to work to change that and they have succeeded.

I have to admit that the one time I have had Aussie wine was in 1988 when I visited my sis. They used to live about 40 miles NW of Melborne and they took me to visit Sepelts winery. They were doing some very nice stuff and the guy doing the tasting waited till the 'mob' had left the tasting room and there were just me. Then he started pulling some of what he called the 'specials' out from under the counter. They were very nice too!!

Harry!!! A teatotal Aussie?? That's a new one on me :\:\

Could be worse? My sis-in-law is a vegetarian, just as well she's lovely with it :Mischievous::Mischievous:

Thank you for all the help you have given on this and loads of other problems guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will let your sister know she is nice - for a vegan!

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No no Harry, she ain't a vaigrant, she's just a vegeteran, you know, one wot just eats veggies and not the proper stuff we everyvors eat. Mind you she has a good level for sumpin gin :Cool::Cool:

Edit : - An it ain't my sis, is my sis-in-law, SWMBOs' sis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.