Having trouble with networking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
Ok, I'm noob when it comes to networking. My dad would always network my PC's, but he happens to be on business for a month, so im on my own. I have alot of data, mostly music and word documents from 12 years of school, and it adds up to over 20gb. I would rather not make hundreds of trips back and forth on a flash drive....

Can someone give me simple directions on how to network and ultimately transfer files in between my PC and my macbook?? I have the wireless all set up.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is what you want to know or not. However, you have to enable sharing on whatever files/folders you want to to be able to access in both your PC and Mac. On a PC, you can simply right click and choose sharing and then enable (I think, I'm slowly forgetting pc stuff)... on the mac, go to system preferences and sharing. Let me know when you have that done and I'll try and walk you through the rest...

Next: security... do you have security enabled on your router?

OP
RawfodoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick reply. I set the sharing to enabled, and I do have security on my router, but I was able to access the macbook through my PC, but not the other way around. On my macbook, it keeps asking for a user name and a password, and even though the correct ones are supplied, it either syas cannot connect or invalid.
I am trying to use a web browser; firefox. My father told me to use ftp://<ip address>. Is this the best way to do it??

Reaction score
You use your browser to set up your router; usually http://192.168.0.1

Did you set up sharing on your mac?

EDIT: We're going to see a musical so I won't be back for a few hours... hopefully you'll figure it out, but I'll check.

When you set up your security, I'd recommend WPA NOT WEP.... If you need help with that, it's fairly self-explanatory, let me know. Sorry for being out... but we have tickets for a freat musical! Later and good luck...

OP
RawfodoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have fun at the musical. Whats the show??

My dad has a pretty complicated encryption on my router. I have been able to set up the wireless however.

Reaction score
Hey. We're back... we went to see West Side Story... it was ok but not on my list of favorite musicals.

At any rate, where are you in your setup... I'm surprised no one else has chimed in to help!? Where is everyone? LOL

Let me know where you're at... if you've got your connections to both you pc and your mac... getting them to share files shouldn't be a problem.

I'll check in periodically to see if you've posted.
Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I'm surprised no one else has chimed in to help!? Where is everyone? LOL
Apparently, M-F gets lighter usage on the weekends as the weather gets nicer! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
If you have the folder(s) shared on your PC try clicking on the "Go" menu on your mac's Finder toolbar. Then click "Connect to Server". In the server address box type "SMB://computername or IP address" without the quotes. it may prompt for username/password. If so go ahead and put in what you login to your PC with. It will then bring up a box that lists the shares that are available. Pick the share you want and click ok. It will mount as a drive on your desktop.

OP
RawfodoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for all your help!! I just got it to work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Awesome! Enjoy!

Reaction score
Raw, one more question. What type of security do you have your router set to? It's been advised that WEP is fairly crackable (unless you've enabled mac filtering (as in mac address) and disabled SSID broadcasting)... everything I've read and been given advice on is we should be using WPA. Just FYI. Let me know if you need input on changing it... it's pretty simple.

Scott

PS Glad you got it up and running. I just bought new office furniture for my home today and once I paint, scrape and sand (not in that order)... it's going to be my gaming office... SOLID CHERRY man, BEAUTIFUL... then I get to set up everything with a new iMac :)

OP
RawfodoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha have fun with that!

Im not too sure what my security looks like, my dad was able to hook me up with wireless before he left. But I trust he has set it up well; he works with encryption at a military contractor, most of his stuff being at the secret/top secret level. He had to set it up well before he was allowed to start working from home.

Reaction score
Um... ok, just wondering how you connected your other computer then? I mean if he set it up (and I'm NOT saying he doesn't know what he's doing)... you would need permission to join the network... I'm sure you're fine, but I would ask him when he gets home... Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.