having trouble networking my Mac with my PCs

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been networking my three PCs for years now. I just bought a shiny new MBP, and I'm very happy with it. Only problem is I'm running in to problems getting it to network properly with the other machines.

Before I describe the problem, allow me to explain my setup and what I CAN do. I have three fully-patched XP SP2 machines, all connected to a Linksys WRT54g with an ethernet cable. PC A has no trouble sharing files with PC B. Both machines use Zone Alarm.

I followed instructions on this website to enable Windows file sharing on my MBP, and sure enough, I'm able to share files between PC A and my MBP by going to Start > Search > Computers or People > A computer on the network and then entering \\192.168.1.12\Dang in the box for the computer name. I then click on the icon that comes up, enter my username and password, and I'm in business.

However, when I try to go the other way, i.e. access PC A from my MBP, I am unsuccessful. When I go to Finder > Network, I don't see the name of my Windows workgroup, as I would expect to. I've temporarily disabled Zone Alarm, but I'm still unable to see the name of the workgroup.

Curiously, I am able to see the name of a neighbor's computer. I let him use my wifi network, but I have no interest in sharing files with him. I suspect he's using the default Windows home user group name (my mind is blanking on what that is at the moment). I, on the other hand, am using my own Workgroup name. I have no idea if any of this explains why I can see my neighbor's computer but not my own, but who knows?

It seems to me Windows sharing is set up correctly on both my MBP and My Windows PCs. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to share files at all. However, something seem to be preventing my MBP from seeing my PCs. I've spent three days trying to figure this out and am still stumped.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I think workgroup names have to be the same? Anyone? Try switching back to default...

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the response. I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying it's not possible for OS X to access a Windows machine unless the Windows machine is using the default share name?

Reaction score
I've been having so much trouble with this also...I'm glad that I read this post, now I can finally go home and do something that works!!!

Thanks

Reaction score
I went on the website, and I got everything working.

My only problem now is that, I can't change the print quality on word. The only thing I was able to do was change it to 150 dpi instead of 300.

I know there was to be a way to change the settings...like, fast, normal etc...

Can someone please help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Anybody know of a driver that will let you see Print quality? I'm willing to try any driver even though it's not an HP. Oh yeah, not sure if I posted this, but my printer was an HP PSC 2210. Am I the only one with this problem?? I've read other posts, and people have the option of changing print quality.
Someone please help me.

Thanks

Reaction score
I've been trying to getthis working for 2 days now.a thousand wrong turns and this is closer I think.

heres the problem i've been " told i have and don't have (yep it's never the same".

you can't connect two computers (mac to a pc)with just a ethernet...had pro and cons left and right

so here goes..i want to do the same thing as dang. i have no router,hubs or switchers just a ethernet cable.

iwas told by one expert thats all need if i share a subnet....okay ..the tutorial link says almost the same...the problem..?? how the **** do I subnet....

please understand I'm at my wits end and feeling very stupid.Assume I know nothing.assume nothinfg and take nothing for granted ..in other words spell it in crayon.(sorry no one has so far )

how/wher do i change/input my ip on my pc??..so it matches (except the last set from what i was told)...how do i do it on the mac.

all i need is clear very detailed correct steps and instructions(any more links will not help i can't write back)

i know i'm close so please be very specific.thanks in advance...

bp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.