Having difficulty setting VLC as default on Yosemite

Reaction score
I'm new to Yosemite having just replaced my seven year old macbook operating with Snow Leopard. My attempts to set VLC as my default video payer have so far been met with failure. I'm able to change the default setting to VLC for videos on an individual basis as I play them but cannot find a way to "change all" so that videos open in VLC automatically. This was a simple process in Leopard but I'm getting nowhere in Yosemite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Welcome Bill, go to one of the video types you wish VLC to open eg an FLV, select it and either right click on it and select "get info" or simply Command + i. A Box will open showing information on this file. About halfway down you will see "Open With." Click the triangle next to it on the left. In the menu that opens is a scroll box, select VLC player from the menu list. It should then appear as (default) in the menu just above the, "Use this application to open all documents like this one." You will have to do that for all file types you want VLC to open.
That should do it.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Vlc

Go to a video and right click. Choose Get Info. Down the list you will see the default app set for that file extension. Click the clicker and select VLC. Then the button Change All should light up. Click that and all videos with that extension will then open in VLC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.