Have I Really Hit a Wall?

Reaction score
If anyone can help me, it's you guys. I have an older Mac Pro. Here's the specs: Model ID: Mac Pro 1,1; Processor: 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xenon; Memory: 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM; Serial: G874927X0GP; Bus Speed 1.33 GHz; and the OS is: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63). Did I leave anything out? As you can see, I have a lot invested in this box (along with a nice, but older, 23" Cinema display, all the drive bays full, and a ton of peripheral devices). I am a very busy freelance graphic designer, and I use the Adobe CS6 Suite for 90% of my work. Am I truly stalled out at OS 10.7.5? Is there any way I can upgrade this config any more? I must say, I am proud of myself for always buying the most upgradable Mac and then keeping it current for as long as I can. Any advice from the genius squad? ;-)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I truly stalled out at OS 10.7.5? Is there any way I can upgrade this config any more? I must say, I am proud of myself for always buying the most upgradable Mac and then keeping it current for as long as I can. Any advice from the genius squad? ;-)

Yes…you are officially stuck with OS 10.7.5…and it has been this way since OS 10.8 was released July, 2012.

There are some tweaks/hacks, etc. that are supposed to allow you to install OS 10.8 or 10.9. But these things are not even close to being endorsed by Apple…and they could mess up your system big time if you do something wrong. And even if they are done correctly…you may not have 100% stability.

Apple really "orphaned" the early model Mac Pro's (1,1 and 2,1 models)…in terms of OS upgradability. The Mac Pro 3,1's (and newer) are the one's to own for the best OS upgrade options.

I know that you originally may have invested a lot of money in your Mac Pro. But at current prices…Mac Pro 1,1's are only worth about $250 bucks…and 16 gig of ram can be purchased for about $80-$90bucks.

Used Mac Pro 3,1's can be purchased for about $400-$500.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 and I sure wish I could OFFICIALLY upgrade the OS beyond 10.7!

p.p.s. By the way. If your Mac Pro 1,1 is still a 4-core setup. It can be upgraded to 8-cores for only about $40-$60.:) So this would certainly speed up some of your CS6 work!:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would still be running a machine like that if it hadn't died. I used it to convert media files and capture some old video tapes.

The last OS officially supported by Apple is 10.7.5 as you suggested. The problem apparently is that the boot loader on that machine is 32 bit rather than 64 bit. There are some reports of folks patching it to run newer versions of OS X. See here for a good summary.

Can't comment on how successful these methods are. Mine died before they were widely available. We have some guys who know those machines well so I bet they will have some thoughts.

Edit: Told you they would chime in.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be cautious Russell about hacking your Mac Pro. It is possible it may be fried doing a hack to run later operating systems. The problem is whilst the Mac Pro 1.1 and 2.1 are 64bit architecture, the EFI is 32bit.

OP
R
Reaction score
I knew I had come to the right place. I guess my next move will be to get as close to the top end in the Mac Pro line, short of forking over $3-4k for the new, little black cylinder Pro. That one would be nice, but it leaves little cash for all the other toys a designer needs. I'll check your link, Slydude, for work-arounds, but I'm a little leery of messing with my "money machine.":p

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know what i end up doing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. Especially given how important that machine is to your work. Do a little poking around /investigating as far as hardware goes much of it should work with the newer Mac Pro models. The software will depend largely upon which versions you're running.

This site should be useful in helping you check which apps you'll need to update RoaringApps - Application compatibility and feature support for OS X and iOS

Reaction score
Actually no you are not maxed out yet on this machine.

But you have to go unsupported to continue it's use.

You will need maverick and a program called sixty four on thirty two this will install maverick on unsupported mac pro's you will also need to make sure you do not have a Ati x1900 graphics card.

you can also use the 2006-2007 mac pro firmware tool and convert the machine to a mac pro 2.1

there is still lots you can do

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one is suggesting that it can't be done but there are some risks involved. This machine is important to the OPs livelihood and those risks have to be seriously considered.

C

chas_m

It would be INSANE to use an unofficial hack on a production machine that is required for one's livelihood. Don't do it.

OTOH, if you are starting to get into the market for a new(er) machine, I might suggest to you that there's no requirement to get a Mac Pro for what you're using it for (former pro graphic designer here). Today's iMacs are the "poor man's Mac Pro" and can blow right past most old models of the vintage you're using. Stop by an Apple Store and ask for a 5K Retina iMac demo with Adobe. Bring a few copies of work files on a thumb drive. You'll see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.