have i bit off more than i can chew?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Practice, Practice, Practice!

Good for you, clover 2112!. Like the man said when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall....

All suggestions I read in this thread are good and the main point is, with everything you do and read, you suck up more knowledge and experience.

I found this to be true as well. As a Windows user of all versions since 3.1 (except server and ME) since 1981, I bought a Mac Pro immediately on finding they switched to Intel and were advertised to run Windows. That was in 2006 when my shiny new 1,1 arrived. I found two things: first, this was a beautifully crafted machine, more like a fine instrument rather than the tin and wires found in most PCs; second, I could not run Windows because bootcamp was really not ready for prime time. So my adventures into OS X began, starting with Snow Leopard.

Shortly after that Mary and I went to sea for six years to live on and use our 50-ft sailboat as a chartering business in the Caribbean. In the meantime while my "toy" stayed in the house in upstate New York. In the interim, however, we moved our domicile to central Texas and in 2011 sold our boat and business and went ashore again. I quickly upgraded the Pro to 20GB (yes, I know, Apple says it's limited and you can't do that but I simply bought enough beg ram blocks to fill the slots and it worked fine with no bad indications anywhere including "About this Mac" or operationally).

I upgraded to Lion then tried to go to Mountain Lion when it arrived. That's when I learned Apple doesn't like to be backwards compatible, I guess because it cuts into their revenue stream...not good for the bottom line, I guess. All the while I was getting more and more familiar with OS X and lovin' it. I did keep Windows around as a virtual machine using Parallels but only to use legacy software not available for the MP. This is also when I got involved with Mac Forums. Mountain Lion arrived, I could not load it with the stock machine, so I went to the forums to see if I could Kluge an install. It appeared possible but the thing that stopped me was someone telling me, perhaps pigoo3, that it may work or it may turn my machine into an expensive anchor. So...

I kept at it, all the while learning more and more about OS X and its foibles. In 2015, involved in a new business venture, we got two new MacBook Pros and carried these on the road in our pursuits of greatness and glory. By 2014 I still was using Lion and, wanting to go further, bought a used 2009, 4,1 MP, twin Xeon 4-processor machine, upgraded it to 32GB RAM and 6TB of internal HDDs and switched to Yosemite, thus bypassing Mountain Lion and Mavericks. And then, when ElCap came out I went to that where I am now with 10.11.4, with all three machines. I have since switched from Android cells to iPhone 6S plus and iOS 9.1 and find it much easier to communicate with our Macs.

Thus, for the past ten years, I have been learning and building on my capabilities with the Mac. I would never go back to Windows although I do have Win 10 virtual through Parallels running in OS X, but now only for my one legacy device that has no Mac software, my Fujitsu fi-6130 scanner, a beautiful little machine that we used on the boat as well. I do, in fact, enjoy using Win 10 once in a while, just to remind me what I am missing.

So, Clover, keep at it. Despite any initial anguish, you will grow to really love your iMac (I even bought one for my daughter and she really loves it, too), if not just for its ease of use and reliability, but for its longevity. You will see people around with then-year-old Macs (I still have my 1,1 model) and they work. They don't just die like PCs.

Cheers and good luck...OJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Hello and welcome from Sacramento, Ca. You have found the best place to ask any question Mac related. I switched in January of this year and am pleased with the level of expertise here and frankly, just normal people, no attitudes like I found occasionally on windows group sites. From all the answers I read to your post and from my experience you have 2 pluses; 1) you switched and 2) you found this forum.
Steve.

Reaction score
New to the Mac?

hi all, just thought i would give a quick intro, just bought a new imac 27", never ever used any apple products at all, just wondering if i made the correct move ( bit late now though :D), have seen some videos & tbh it seems to run flawless , this is going to be a huge learning curve & just wondered how others who switched got on ? tbh though something had to give , fed up to the back teeth with windows, i bought a hp not 6 months ago, had a massive update from windows, lost the drivers, virgin were no help at all ( tbf it was the pc & not the network though ), so that's going & get my shiney new iMac in a few days, also bought the new trackpad, so that's it in a nutshell & stand by for some stupid questions ;)

You don't say where you are located, but if you can search the internet or have a friend with a Windows machine do it ;P I strongly suggest you see if there is an Macintosh User's Group (MUG) near you. If there is, attend one of their meetings. I think you'll find Macintosh people are anxious and delighted to help newcomers get started. Also searching youtube for titles such as iMac tutorial.

David Pogue's book is a great suggestion, but might be overwhelming given its size to start out with. Once you get started using your new iMac you'll find David's book invaluable as are just about all the many books he's written.

Reaction score
I'm 67, and a PC user for most of my life, but I got a new iMac w/OS X El Capitan 11.10.4 this last Christmas, and I'm delighted!! I'm having trouble finding software to replace what I was using (and I hadda get Micro$oft Office to be able to run some stuff). I was given most of my software library (pirated, I think) and cannot afford to buy anything. Applications and utilities are hard to find, and freebie software is SO limited. But what I HAVE found is great!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I'm 67, and a PC user for most of my life, but I got a new iMac w/OS X El Capitan 11.10.4 this last Christmas, and I'm delighted!! I'm having trouble finding software to replace what I was using (and I hadda get Micro$oft Office to be able to run some stuff). I was given most of my software library (pirated, I think) and cannot afford to buy anything. Applications and utilities are hard to find, and freebie software is SO limited. But what I HAVE found is great!!

There is quite a lot of software available at little or (mostly) no charge that will allow you to do just about anything you need to.

For example, you can load Pages, Numbers, and Keynote direct from Apple (there is a way to get the full versions for free) and have replacements for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Visio is another story as it is pretty complicated program under the hood (MS bought it, they didn't create it). Plenty of ways to VIEW Visio files, but I don't know of an easy / cheap way to edit them on the Mac. There's also OpenOffice and LibreOffice which are free software packages that will do much of what MS Office will do.

Lots of the Open Source software projects have Mac versions available at no cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
On top of the book Harry suggested on the other page, if there are certain App that you really want to learn properly, then take a look at the Take Control Books: Expert advice on tech topics many of them written by Joe Kissel . . . . .

I started out on these when I became stuck, and they still get a cursory look every now and again. The are short but very in depth books, and well managed by dedicated chapters.

. My biggest concern with Apple is its control of what I want to do. For example in its photo app, I can't even rename the file of a picture. I can only add "tags" to a photo but cannot rename the actual file. And can't get rid of pictures in iCloud until 30 days later. In Pages and Numbers I cannot get the apps to open in the format that I want. They continue to open in Apple's formats. The statement below that OSX is not Windows is absolutely true.

Staynavytom, you might be interested in this book and learn what you really can and can't do in Photos :)

Photos for Mac OS X

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
Taking away from the comments, I noticed there was a central theme regarding most of the comments which described a remorseful users' the path to 'OS X heaven' after experiencing drawbacks using Windows which I don't disagree w/. However, I feel both OS's have their flaws and if it was me I wouldn't just write off Windows off the bat after transitioning. I use both OS's and have had my share of problems using both and for me each individual OS serves its purpose. You'll eventually need Windows later down the line and when that time comes Bootcamp will have you covered. I hope you eventually take away from your introduction of using OS X a newfound appreciation for how it compares to Windows and not base your judgment of an individual OS off of others'.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice mate, i honestly want to change from windows so will persevere ;)

Check out a Mac Users Group in your area. They might have a beginners group. But remember, it may take at least three to four meetings to absorb what the members are talking about. You are a beginner, and sometimes the members talk in abbreviated terms. But, once you get the hang of it, you will find more answers than you asked for.

Find a member that will be there when you call... We do have viruses though. More Malware, so be careful when you go to certain third party sites. A Mac Users Group can keep you informed in that field.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 " MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 480 GB SSD
My wife and I went thru the same scenario about 7 years ago. When we bought the iMac we paid $99 for unlimited lessons for a year. We lived in a town where there was a brick and mortar Apple store. So, every Saturday morning for two months, we went to the Apple store and took lessons. Then throughout the year we went for refreshers and updates. The transition for us was easy and uncomplicated thanks to the instructions we got from the Apples instructors. If you don't have an Apple store nearby, look for a Simply Mac store. They also offer lessons. Well worth the investment. Enjoy your iMac.

Reaction score
My wife and I went thru the same scenario about 7 years ago. When we bought the iMac we paid $99 for unlimited lessons for a year. We lived in a town where there was a brick and mortar Apple store. So, every Saturday morning for two months, we went to the Apple store and took lessons.

For those who want to do the same, but who don't have an Apple store near them, or who don't want to leave the comfort of their home, there are online video courses. Typically online video vendors have huge libraries of courses and for one set fee for a time period (e.g. monthly or yearly) you gain access to their entire library of courses which you can watch as much as you like 24/7.

Examples:

Lynda.com ($25/month for 24/7 unlimited access to all of their training videos)
https://www.lynda.com/
There is a free demo available!

VTC ($30/month unlimited access)
http://www.vtc.com/

Atomic Learning ($15/month or $100 for 1 year, both offer unlimited access to all tutorials)
http://www.atomictraining.com/individual-membership

InfiniteSkills ($25/month)
http://www.infiniteskills.com/

MacProVideo ($25/month or $199/year)
https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/mac+os-suite

Screencast
http://www.screencastsonline.com/index.php
Online Macintosh video tutorials. Some tutorials are free. $49 for a 6 month membership during which you can view the entire catalog of shows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.