Has anyone here taken apart a Macintosh Plus?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about turning mine into an iPad stand for my iPad 3. I'd like to be able to take the iPad out easily if I need to.

My Mac Plus is broken, as it makes a loud beeping noise when turned on, and starts smoking after a few minutes lol. Hopefully nothing melted too much.

I've been looking around for instructions on how to do this an it seems pretty complicated. I don't have much experience with opening electronics so I'm debating if I should even bother :/ Also apparently I have to discharge the CRT monitor, which I can't find clear instructions on how to do so.

Has anyone here taken apart their Mac Plus? If so what instructions did you rely on for it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if the ifixit site even addresses older Macs, but you can give it a try: www.ifixit.com. As for discharging the CRT, that can be a bit hazardous to your health if you don't know how. When I was doing TV repair many years ago, we used a wood stick with a metal hook on one end and a grounding strap with an alligator clip attached to the metal hook. You would first attach the alligator clip to ground and then use the metal hook on the other end to touch the second anode and discharge the high static voltage that remained. Of course you turn off the Mac first. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not complicated at all. There are 4 screws on the back that need to be removed…then you have access to the insides (should be able to figure things out from there).

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm thinking about turning mine into an iPad stand for my iPad 3. I'd like to be able to take the iPad out easily if I need to.

I don't have much experience with opening electronics so I'm debating if I should even bother :/ Also apparently I have to discharge the CRT monitor, which I can't find clear instructions on how to do so.

Well, GrumpyCat - you must have something better to do w/ your time? :eek:

The statements in bold above should be of concern - CRTs are potentially dangerous - I'm just picturing an electrocution scene - :) Take care - Dave

prom-night-ii-hello-mary-lou-computer-electrocution-death.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick is right on the screws. Two are recessed by the handle in the back at the top. They are all Torx and I believe #10 Torx.

My dad and I at our TV Shop had a special thick insulated thing with a wire on each end that you grounded one end and pushed the other end under the Cover on the Anode lead right on the CRT and you would hear it go POP! :D

If smoke comes out sounds like the power supply is dying. Many did after many years of use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Besides the long special screwdrivers needed you'll also have to use or probably create your own case cracker to even get into the case, and then discharge the CRT high voltage properly. A straight "shorting" device like a screwdriver is not recommended and the electronics don't like that.

But no big deal if the old Mac is partially dead, but that voltage can make the tech into the same state if one isn't careful. Those capacitors can hold a huge big jolt for a long time after being unplugged!!! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But no big deal if the old Mac is partially dead, but that voltage can make the tech into the same state if one isn't careful. Those capacitors can hold a huge big jolt for a long time after being unplugged!!!

It's the Aquadag coating on that CRT which acts like a huge capacitor to store an eye jolting build up of static discharge. Any TV repairman from the old days can tell you what it feels like to brush up against the second anode of a CRT without grounding it first. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't what or where it's stored on the old Mac Classics, but I can sure tell of several Mac techs that had their elbows bent and even some that ended up on their knees. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
chscag is correct. And many times I bumped into that lead and regretted it! :D Grin

As far as a Case Cracker, I just after the screws are removed used a flat head driver and pried gently at the top there the front panel hits the case and it popped off. Some just lifted off but some were very tight.

And PM-R is right, you need a pretty long blade Torx driver. I got a Stanley set once that works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Guys - are your encouraging Grumpy... to proceed in this effort? ;)

If so, read the Obit column in the newspaper tomorrow! :) Dave

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And PM-R is right, you need a pretty long blade Torx driver. I got a Stanley set once that works great.

In case the OP needs a set, they're sold at Lowes and also Home Depot. Not expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag is correct. And many times I bumped into that lead and regretted it! :D Grin

As far as a Case Cracker, I just after the screws are removed used a flat head driver and pried gently at the top there the front panel hits the case and it popped off. Some just lifted off but some were very tight.

As far as a case cracker goes if one doesn't want to use screwdrivers and such, and as I recall can damage the case as bit, I used to use some modified spring Bulldog Clips that worked quite well.

BTW: There seems to be lots of hits on iPad Dockintosh that includes some videos like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMsRwcWcv-U

It seems to be an in thing lately. ;)

Reaction score
Awesome idea. Just remember the metal tray that holds the 31/2 inch disk drive and the hard drive is sometimes sharp.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As far as the case cracker. Most of the time I've had no problems removing the back cover off of the older compact Mac's (original, Mac Plus, SE, SE-30, Mac Classic). But sometimes it is needed/can help.:)

Here's how to discharge a crt monitor/picture tube:

How to Discharge a CRT Monitor: 11 Steps (with Pictures)

Photo of homemade discharge tool:

CRT_Discharge_Tool.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be much better if it just had a proper resistor in the circuit to help aid discharging the high voltage. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of the later model CRT type TV sets had a built in high voltage static discharge circuit which offered protection against accidental discharges. But it still makes sense to go with safety first and ground the second anode. I don't know how much HV is on the CRT of a Mac Plus, but the typical color TV set with a CRT HV varies from 25KV to 27KV. Makes for a nice jolt. :Oops:

Reaction score
Photo of homemade discharge tool:

CRT_Discharge_Tool.jpg

- Nick

Nice picture of tool. I changed out the tube many years ago on mine and it still works:D I need to crank it up ..dont like the HD to sit for too long in such an old machine;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.