• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

Has anybody got 10.3 Panther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi,

Can anyone help me out - my new MacBook is in at Apple for repairs (I say the clicking is the hard drive, they say it's the fan, but that's another story) - anyway, I am currently using an iBook G3 Clamshell Indigo with Tiger installed, and to be honest it is struggling a little even with the maximum RAM.

I am looking for either Clamshell specific or retail 10.3 Panther discs so I can drop it down a notch and maybe get the speed up a bit.
If anybody has a spare set and a price I would be extremely grateful for a pm.

I've spoken to Apple here in the UK but they can no longer find any discs in stock.

I am also looking on eBay but just missed out on one auction and am not expecting to win the next, but to be honest if the price goes too high I think I'd rather stick it out with Tiger as this laptop is probably not worth spending too much on.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As you probably realise you do need the Panther full retail install discs, be they CDs or DVD. Do not fall the the so called update, upgrade, drop in etc names used by sellers marketing model specific system install discs, which are all silver grey coloured. You need ther black disc/s.

OP
hugtheslug
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, sorry, I forgot that these machines probably shipped with 10.2, so it will be retail discs I need.

Hugh

OP
hugtheslug
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I have secured a set of retail Panther discs now, but since disabling Dashboard and Spotlight things are going much better in Tiger - I wouldn't have had them available under 10.3 anyway.
I'm also using iCab instead of Firefox, and so far have been impressed with both it's greater speed and much lesser usage of RAM.
Lastly I have my MacBook back now (it was the fan; so much for my diagnostic powers), so the old Clamshell will go back to being a toy.

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
To Hugh from Hugh - care to join a fledgling campaign to make older OS legally available via Mac-Forums? If that Panther retail for example is now no longer required, would you consider putting it up 'for adoption'? [within Britain I guess.] Why, you might even get paid for it! ;D

OP
hugtheslug
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Hugh, thats a wonderful idea.

I'll keep the Panther discs (when they arrive) because I'm thinking of getting an iMac G3 to muck around with, and they may be needed.

In my CD case I have some grey OS 9.1 discs and a retail OS X upgrade disc that originally came with a white iBook G3 500, plus iMovie 2.

I shall hop over to the other thread and put them on.

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.