• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Harry Potter Ban Denied

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Apparently some woman believes that since witch craft is in the Harry Potter books and some people practice witch craft as a religion, it violates the law of seperation of church and state as well as the books being a way to "indoctrine children into witch craft".

What a tool. People like her want to make the whole world stupid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_re_us/potter_protest

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Apparently some woman believes that since witch craft is in the Harry Potter books and some people practice witch craft as a religion, it violates the law of seperation of church and state as well as the books being a way to "indoctrine children into witch craft".

What a tool. People like her want to make the whole world stupid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_re_us/potter_protest

Oh ghods, some people need lives.

I'd like to say a number of things about the person doing this, but frankly I don't wan to start my day being banned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Makes you just want to go up and slap her until she's smart, doesn't it??
Seeing as you can't slap somebody smart... :)

Seriously though, the kind of ignorance this woman displays is among the worst..
She|He has never read any of the books|seen the movie|talked to the person, but feels it is her|his duty to decide what everyone else should or shouldn't read|do|say.

When did this country become a nation of people that need to be nannied?????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Grimm's fairy tales will be next.

Oh yeah, they already tried that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Someone should tell her that religious people have enough problems being labeled as hypocrites; they don't need her help.

Let's break this down. She wants the court to uphold the decision of separating church and state in order to get Harry Potter out of the library and then says, "I have a dream that God will be welcomed back in our schools again". Uhh, something's not right here. Under her logic, shouldn't Harry and the gang be allowed back when God is too??

She reminds me of those crazy Westboro Baptist people who hate America and claim everyone, except them, is dammed to (you know where). Then they usethe laws of America to force police to protect them and criticize the police if they think they're not protecting them with every fiber of their being.

"Officer, you're an instrument of evil, of satan himself. You better do everything you can to protect me. You have to. It's the law of the United States. I hate the United States and it's doomed to (you know where)"

EDIT: I guess you can't use that word, even for it's literal meaning.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry Potter has as much to do with Wicca as Astro Boy has to do with Nasa.

I've not seen them "all" but there IS no religion in Harry Potter, certainly not any Wicca, or other legally recognized paganism. :/

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Any one ever hear of Jack Thompson?

He wanted to sue Wendys because their kid's meal toys are wii controller toys. Man slaughter is coming to the wii. Wendys it trying to promote a "murder simulator" to kids...

Just look up Jack thompson if you don't know who he is...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Hmmm... I kinda took the wind out of that woman's sail without even breaking a sweat.

Edit: If Harry Potter's fiction should be taken out of schools, then I guess we should take Dante's Divine Comedy out too because my school had the Divine Comedy on hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
Someone should tell her that religious people have enough problems being labeled as hypocrites; they don't need her help.

Please don't let some nutcase crazy woman like this mold your opinion of "religious people." throwing everyone who has religion into a big group is like saying every black person is poor and every white person is rich. it's a stereotype, and an unfair one at that. but i will agree, yes, she's effing crazy.

p.s. i freakin love harry potter. the end.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think that's what fleurya was implying. at least that's how i understood it.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't let some nutcase crazy woman like this mold your opinion of "religious people."

Walk around wearing a pentacle, or a pride necklace for a month and your taste for "god's people" will diminish rapidly. "Trust me on this"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
It's political correctness gone mad. You can't do or say anything in this day n age without being accused of racism, blasphemy, bigotry or the like. The whole world is turning into Orwells 1984.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Political correctness? Its monotheistic bigots who are terrified anyone might have an idea separate from their own, Harry Potter as religion in schools?

These are the same whack a moles who thought thats D&D books contain actual real spells. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Walk around wearing a pentacle, or a pride necklace for a month and your taste for "god's people" will diminish rapidly. "Trust me on this"

I'll back you up on this statement.
It's amazing how previously "nice people" turn on you once they catch a glimpse of your pentacle...
On the flip side, I have had many intelligent, in depth conversations with people of different beliefs after they'd seen my neckless. Granted they weren't so much Christian as just expressing a belief in a "higher power"

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'll back you up on this statement.
It's amazing how previously "nice people" turn on you once they catch a glimpse of your pentacle...
On the flip side, I have had many intelligent, in depth conversations with people of different beliefs after they'd seen my neckless. Granted they weren't so much Christian as just expressing a belief in a "higher power"

I hope this isn't considered and offensive word.

Sasha Baron Cohen, the actor that plays the character of Borat had an "interview" with some political figure. I'm thinking it was Alabama's governor. The character Borat is very anti-semitic for those that don't know. He often spouts things in regards to killing jews and doing bad things to them. Sasha Baron Cohen, who plays Borat is very hardcore Orthodox Jewish according to an interview done with him. He got the governor to say that "The Jews are going to Hades.", on camera, which he later said that he was just referring to the bible saying that those that did not believe in Christ were going to Hades. You know that's not what he meant.

He's also gotten other people to do similar things. I think in the interview he said something along the lines of he likes being able to do things like that to expose who people really are when they don't know the person they're talking to.

Shows you that religious hatred can be found almost any where with the right "coaxing".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.